Maggot dye

Andy M

Reaction score
Need them alive if poss and re buying red, if would if I could but I can't. Only one place I can get them easily and sometimes they have red but usually only white (Copenhagen).

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Andy,

I think I'm right in saying that the dyes used by maggot breeders are actually put into the feed, so the colouration is more or less permanent on shop bought maggots.

Any dye that you use on white maggot will probably wash off after a short period of time in the water.

You can try Red Food Colouring, but it is a time-consuming job.

Can you not 'import' red maggot from Sweden? I know for certain that you can get red maggot in most tackle shops in Skane.

Andy M

Reaction score
Oh dear, I thought it might have been fairly easy but seemingly not. I will just stress to my supplier that red is best and see if he can influence the breeder.

Cheers all for your responses.

Tommo!

Reaction score
I have the same problem over (Germany).

'Mustn't dye maggots as they may end up in food chain and kill hundreds' Jawol!

Beecy

Reaction score
Peter is right, all coloured maggots, reds-yellows-greens-discosare dye fed. Only bronze maggots are dyed from whites.

squash a red or a yellow and the stuff that comes out is the same colour, squash a bronze and the insides are white on freshly dyed ones, if they are a few days old then the colour soaks into them a bit

I remember many years ago we had a short period ( in our area anyway ) when there was a shortage of maggots in general and the breeders were only doing whites, we tried various types of dye in the shop i worked in and all were crap for reds. At best you got a light pink colour and the dye tended to only realy take in the creases of the skins

Beecy

Reaction score
i case any ones thinking 'how can there be a shortage of maggots?' , it was during the time of the miners/steelworkers strikes and a few local breeders went out of business