Reel lube

paul80

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just taken delivery of a Daiwa 125m and would like to give it a clean out and re grease, anyone know what the best grease to use on reels is.

Thanks

Paul

laguna

Reaction score
Whats its condition?
Lovely reels, apart from the chenille missing from one of the spools mine still casts smoothly loaded with 3lb mono like the day it was bought. Mine was acquired early 70's and still use it, stillwater and river and never had to re-grease its spotless inside and water tight seals.

Currently looking for a vintage Olympic "one touch"!

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks Guys

I was thinking Castrol LM might be Ok, although to be honest its in such good condition it probably doesn't need it.

talking of the chenille, is it still available, I suppose it must be as they still list the reel as available, anyone know of an on-line dealer that sells it, should I need some in the future.

Paul

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Habadashers sell chenille. A lifetimes supply for about a quid. I did mine about five years ago. You can secure it with a tiny dab of superglue.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Always easy to overdo the greasing/oiling with reels as both act as a perfect resting place for dust etc which, when mixed together, becomes like a mild form of grinding paste....

Never good for something that rotates plus the fact it can make a dreadful noise !!

More important is to wipe the insides of reels (like centrepins) that are prone to taking in small amounts water after fishing in the rain etc. Even then a wipe is all they need but not more grease/oil !!
The sound they make when you spin them tells you everything....

mick b

Reaction score
More important is to wipe the insides of reels (like centrepins) that are prone to taking in small amounts water after fishing in the rain etc. Even then a wipe is all they need but not more grease/oil !!
The sound they make when you spin them tells you everything....

To damn true...

When are these centrepin manufacturers going to realise that holes in a backplate is a recipe for maggots and mash when actually used for fishing :eek:mg: