Cheap box for floats

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Hi all,
having recently returned to fishing after many years I only have 1 "tray" style tackle box (Which is ideal for hooks, leads, stops etc). One like you might use for screws/rawlplugs etc with adjustable dividers. I have left one section divider free and bung my floats in there but they are starting to overflow.
Just wondering if any of you had found a cheap alternative to a float box in Wilkinsons, The Range or wherever, rather than paying £15 in the tackle shop for the same thing! I thought something with 2 sections so wagglers could be bunged one side and sticks in the other might be an idea.

Cheers!

rubio

Reaction score
I've got a few boxes/tubes now from car boots etc. but I used to use pringles tubes bolstered with insulation tape.

dead peg

Reaction score
You could get a Tiger Tuff-box from Amazon £2-90 inc. delivery and put some adhesive foam strip in it and you've got a cheap float box

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I use the A4 files, about 15mm deep, that used to be available in Poundland; they've gone up a bit now, but other cheapo stationers often have them. £1 should still get you a few sheets of A4 craft foam, which provides a bit of padding, plus a base on which to stick foam partitions cut from the edge of a roll-up yoga/sleep mat.
Cheap, transparent (or tinted) and very light. Wish they did an A5 version.

flatfour

Reaction score
I use an old pencil case, it's perfect for the job. Has two sections, one for my float collection and I keep a ready made float rig in the other.

Decent sized ones can be had pretty cheaply.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
From experience, if you end up using tubes I suggest you stick a bit of foam in the lids to help protect the float ends. Not to say the floats would become badly damaged without it but it stops the clonking as the floats slide up and down in transit......

Personally I think many anglers love to carry loads of float types, most of which just do several journeys a week without seeing light of day. As likely as not probably a dozen floats will see most of us through a season let alone a session! I hold my hands up to finding 20/30 floats in my bag for no purpose I can fathom.....
From time to time I get tough with myself and have a clear out retaining only those that I see as bankers for the waters I'll be fishing in the immediate future and cover every situation I could be faced with (which equates to probably a dozen patterns), although inevitably some 'must have's' manage to sneak back in !!

I expect 'matchmen' probably carry more ??

mick b

Reaction score
Ive always modified whatever plastic box took my fancy.
All you need is any decent sized paperclip bent to the required angle and a hear source, gas lighter, candle, gas ring etc.

Heat the wire and run it down the ends and bottoms of the unwanted partitions....simples :D
Like sagalout I also used a bacon container before I relegated it to carrying my personal (sea fishing) VHF, but that was long before they truly mastered the waterproof design, funny but the container still lives but the VHF has long since died.
But thinking of using it for my Cralussos.

Nowadays I use a zip-up artists brush folder because I only carry a 8 or so floats....:wh