reels

peter truscott

Reaction score
hi just bought one of these new mitchell reels and they feel fantastic havent used it yet will be trying it out on wednesday,just wondered if anyone else has one and what they think of them

Reaction score
I love the look of them and they feel great in the hand, we sold about 50 of them last year and no returns so they must be doing something right.

Ryan

M

mark norris (ACA)

I have a pair of 300X pro, about 5 years old now and they are great. No problems at all.

peter truscott

Reaction score
thanks guys mitchell have a good reputation for top class reels the old 300 and 440 match are classics now and still knocking around for people to get a good bargain

M

MCMILLIGAN

i have 12 mitchells 8 are old ones and 4 are new and they are the best reels out they ae bomb proof and can tackle anything

M

MCMILLIGAN

they last years aswell im after a half bail arm if any 1 is selling one

M

MCMILLIGAN

what do you mean by pickups m8, they do left hand and right hand models i am selling a couple om my mitchell if you are intrested

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
By "pick-ups", I mean the assembly that turns round the spool, "picking up" the line and winding it back onto the spool - the bale arm and flier.

On the old Mitchell 300 series, these went the wrong way round, so that you had to either learn to feather the cast with the "nail" side of your finger, or change hands to cast.

They were even worse when float-fishing with the pick-up open (i.e. when trotting), because the line peeled off the spool onto the back of your finger, and when you struck and hooked a fish, the pick-up wouldn't slip round under your finger and take the line smoothly from it, but bashed into your finger and tried to lash it to the spool. While trying o start winding, the fish usually got a bit of slack line and often unhooked itself.

I know some matchmen of the era loved these reels and worked out how to overcome the design flaw, but I never have been able to work out how, or get one of them to talk me step-by-step through the process!

This need to have the line peel off the spool onto the ball, not the nail, of the finger is the reason that there is no such thing as an "ambidextrous" open-faced fixed-spool reel, so both left-hand wind and right-hand wind models ought to be produced.

Sadly, they are not. Manufacturers would rather fight each other for a tiny share of the saturated left-hand-wind market, rather than realise that about ten per cent of their potential market are southpaws who want a proper right-hand wind reel and have nothing except the old Mitchell 207,209, 321 & 325 (only the 209 being of a good build quality); and the old Abu 66x series - all of which have been discontinued for ages.

M

MCMILLIGAN

Ino they are a pain to use but imm only 15 and i have familorised myself with usuing them, i use the mitchell because its simple

mike Gibson

Reaction score
Yes, I bought one a few months ago. No problems whatsoever and IMHO compares well toreels costing a lot more.

Not sure if they willl last as long as my old Mitchell 300s but for the money, you wan't go far wrong.