cold weather fishing

ciprinus

Reaction score
just discussing a nite out on the bank with the boss and the subject of sudden frosts came up,

now heres my question
does the cold weather affect the breaking strain of you line be it mono, braid or whatever you use??

what are your thoughts please

B

binka

Can't say it's something I've ever considered to be totally honest, I would have thought it would have to be really extreme and well beyond what we're likely to experience to have any effect at all?

I would be interested to hear otherwise though.

I'm regularly out in winter before dawn when it's well into the minus's but can't say I've noticed anything different with line apart from the hassle of rod rings freezing over.

Thanks for reminding me of things to come...

:D

law

Reaction score
I've regularly fished in minus conditions and haven't noticed any difference.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I've smashed the ice on the Grand Union at Hunton Bridge to fish a match in the past.... even caught well too, 4lb o' gudgeon for 3rd in an Essex Club league heat

law

Reaction score
So long as you can get the rods out before it freezes over, it's all good!

533354_10151331702317307_1431068731_n.jpg

Had me this 30lb'er the same day...
531800_10151331723032307_970885595_n.jpg

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Good to see a proper smile in a trophy shot!
I was going to be mean and ask if you were smiling because you could go home now, but there's no mistaking where you're focussed. Played for and won; well done, Sah!

flightliner

Reaction score
Can't say it's something I've ever considered to be totally honest, I would have thought it would have to be really extreme and well beyond what we're likely to experience to have any effect at all?

I would be interested to hear otherwise though.

I'm regularly out in winter before dawn when it's well into the minus's but can't say I've noticed anything different with line apart from the hassle of rod rings freezing over.

Thanks for reminding me of things to come...

:D
Steve, you're a very Hardy fellow.

laguna

Reaction score
When it gets cold enough things start to shrink... I have seen this happen! and break ? solution use a warm hand :D

nb. Yes they can break more easily, especially elastic but probably not noticable until well into the minus's have you got your heaters on yet?

wanderer

Reaction score
I used to work in the UPVC, industry and we tried exporting sunrooms to Scandinavia, it was an absolute disaster, they cracked all over the place, no wonder wood is the preferred material. How this would apply to mono, I have no idea, but they are experimenting with a machine to dispose of human bodies, they freeze them to near zero absolute and then use high frequency vibration to turn the corpse into tiny fragments, so I suppose the cold must affect line.