Matchman hook tyer

rubio

Reaction score
Loop tyers. Now there's something I've taken too. Especially for pole rigs.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I really tried heavens hard over several days ( slinging the damn thing across the room when it went wrong ) to use the tyer and although I did manage to tie some I never felt confident that they wouldn't fail. Either a slight crinkle in the line or the hook hanging at slightly off plumb..............it just wasn't good enough, unfortunately.
I'm not one to give up totally though and I still eye the tyer as a ' maybe ' for the future, but in the meantime I tie down to 16 and hooks to nylon for anything smaller having found the barbless Drennan Silverfish Maggot down to a 22 x 1lb 10oz line pretty good for my roach fishing (with maggots or hemp). Other sizes in the range are 18 /20's to 2lb line.
One has to accept the fact that hook to nylon don't always give you the set up you want but these do a good job for me and they are reliable AND I have a ready supply should the line look less than perfect when catching plenty.

I've even landed carp wayward carp up to 6lb on the 22 !!

ps Although not the perfect hook shape, the 18's are good with giant hemp and the 20's with standard stuff for my roach, and they are very fussy !!

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It's a knack, Skip, like the Sensas loop tyers, which I wouldn't be without. All it takes is a bit of practice... and a Youtube video. :wh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfFcRt-shx4

Now you're talking. The Sensas loop tyers are brilliant and as cheap as chips. I have one in every box and would not be without them. Hook tyers can hoy off though.....life is too short to work those out .

robtherake

Reaction score
Now you're talking. The Sensas loop tyers are brilliant and as cheap as chips. I have one in every box and would not be without them. Hook tyers can hoy off though.....life is too short to work those out .

The trick's to grip the knot 'tween finger and thumb before tightening up. If you don't, the first couple of loops have a tendency to jump off, causing foul language and gratuitous gadget throwing. :D

john10

Reaction score
I wouldn't be without my Matchman, I found it easy enough. The first one I had I showed a young man how to tie with it, looking gobsmacked he said in broken English .."this is magic!" :eek: then I gave it to him.

You would of thought he had just won the lottery. :)

Me too. I stopped using it for some years then came back to it when I wanted to tie some spade ends. I had to go on you tube though as I couldn't for the life of me get it right at first.

Nice gesture to give the guy your Matchman.

sumtime

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, John, it was on one of the smaller islands in the Aegean Sea, he was about 28yrs of age it was well worth it seeing his delight and amazement as I tied the knot. :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The trick's to grip the knot 'tween finger and thumb before tightening up. If you don't, the first couple of loops have a tendency to jump off, causing foul language and gratuitous gadget throwing. :D

I just don't trust the nasty wee things. Fortunately my eyes and fingers are still good enough to cope with a size 20 and I've never gone lower than that in me life. When they aren't I'll think again but I suspect it will be pre-tied for me. I use them quite a bit anyway out of sheer laziness & convenience.

B

binka

The main problem I have with hooks to nylon is their short length.

I abandoned them long ago due to this as there's just not enough stretch in such a short length of line, imo.

I've always tied long hooklinks to gain the extra stretch and reckon it's invaluable when you're up against it, I've never had a problem with pinching shot onto a hooklink as long as it's done lightly enough and for some reason fluorocarbon seems to be made for the practice with shot pinching and sliding so easily without any sign of damage at all.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've used the Matchman Hook-tyer for as long as I can remember and I actually like them.
I've never used any other types of hook tyer so I can't comment on the other ones but I wouldn't be without my Matchman when tying very small hooks.

I think the key is to keep the line taught and don't overlap the coils and use plenty of spit as you carefully tighten down the knot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DHrAIOU9Lrs

I don't know if I could tie size 20 spade end hooks by hand as I have short stubby fingers and aging eyes LOL.

Plus like Binka; I like using longish hooklengths because of the extra bit of stretch It gives me in my Hooklength which is often a boon.

Keith

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
The main problem I have with hooks to nylon is their short length.

My beef with ready-tied hooklinks is that I can't get them out of the packet without tangling the bloody things! I can knock up two decent hooklinks in the time it takes me to untangle a ready-made. :eek:mg:

soft plastic

Reaction score
It would seem that you are either a Drennan or Matchman devotee. I'm a fan of the Drennan hook tyer. Agree with some of the others on here... the Matchman is a crock of *****.

Keith M

Reaction score
the Matchman is a crock of *****.

What is that saying? A bad workman always blames his tools? LOL...

Only kidding LOL.

NB: I'm not saying that the Drennan isnt easier to use (I've never needed to use one), but I'm one of the few anglers who have never had any problems at all with the Matchman hook tyer and I have used them for over 40 years now LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
You may be right re the workman etc. All I know is that I find it harder to use and manipulate than the Drennan. Also, I have broken the jaws on two occasions by overtightening when the hooks have not been held securely. As you say it might be me but I far prefer the simplicity and ease of use of the Drennan.

ciprinus

Reaction score
if i decide to go silver bashing i have no choice but to use a hook tyer, i hate the ready made's as i have had so many fail on me, i am of the opinion that if a knot is going to fail then it better be one of mine.
i have a bad case of psoriasis on my hands and some days i can drop things without even knowing it as the skin gets so thick that they are practically useless.
enter the matchman ;)
with the matchman i can at least tie a hook and fish so to me it is a life saver :D