Matchman hook tyer

B

binka

Am I the only one not to get on with one of these?

Bought one out of curiosity whilst buying bait yesterday and decided to have a go with it this morning and with laptop and youtube clip on knee I had several attempts with a size 20 to 0.08 and messed just about every one up!

Is it a case of practice makes perfect?

The good news was that I went back to doing it by hand and tied a perfect hook first time so the hook tyer can go in the drawer to await such times when, hopefully many years down the line, the fingers are no longer willing.

I've got to get the vac out now as several seize 20's have pinged around the living room and I don't want to end up in a Flight plight :D

Following a chat with a mate this morning it turns out he couldn't get on with one either, anyone else found the tyer a fiddly ruddy thing?

robertroach

Reaction score
I bought one a few months ago and gave it a good go, but couldn't get on with it. I put it in with the recycling on the basis that most of it is plastic.
Much easier by hand I think, mind you I never go smaller than a size 18. Maybe a 22 would be more problematic.

B

binka

I bought one a few months ago and gave it a good go, but couldn't get on with it. I put it in with the recycling on the basis that most of it is plastic.
Much easier by hand I think, mind you I never go smaller than a size 18. Maybe a 22 would be more problematic.

That's reassuring, safety in numbers :)

Must admit that if I feel I need to go any lower than a size 20 nowadays the better option would be to have stayed at home in the first place.

thecrow

Reaction score
Purchased one a few years ago because of my shaky hand making it difficult to tie hooks, couldn't get on with it at all I struggled even more, into the bin it went.

rubio

Reaction score
I've kept mine as an incentive to remind me that no matter how much trouble I have tying by hand using a machine is harder. Less than ideal for any device.
As my eyes get more tired I may be compelled to have another go.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I thought it was just me. I am truley gratified to find that I'm not the only numpty with a hook tyer.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I bought a Drennan hooktier about 5 years ago out of frustration at the limited diameters of line on hooks to nylon. For instance the Drennan red maggot hooks.
Size 20's to 2lb or 3lb BS. FFS these are fine wire hooks, the traces were thicker than the wire the hooks were made of.
So, I bought an assortment of spade end hooks and some spools of my preferred diameters of line and forced myself to use them with the hooktier by taking no hooks to nylon with me on sessions.
Never looked back and I've saved £'s to boot.
Practice makes perfect innit.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought a Drennan hooktier about 5 years ago out of frustration at the limited diameters of line on hooks to nylon. For instance the Drennan red maggot hooks.
Size 20's to 2lb or 3lb BS. FFS these are fine wire hooks, the traces were thicker than the wire the hooks were made of.
So, I bought an assortment of spade end hooks and some spools of my preferred diameters of line and forced myself to use them with the hooktier by taking no hooks to nylon with me on sessions.
Never looked back and I've saved £'s to boot.
Practice makes perfect innit.
What model of tyer do you use?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
When I get a new one, I will try one of those. If you can do it then it must be a piece of pi55, lol.

I bought one from a local tackle dealer wich came with half a dozen spools of Ultima line, which when I looked at it seemed twice the diameter it should have been. I peeled back the labels and it was some Chinese rubbish. I think the hook tyer was about the same quality.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
To add to the method the bloke demonstrates in the vid, once I am ready to pull the loop through in the final bit I give it a wet lick, especially if I'm using low dia lines....
If you're starting from scratch I recommend using a big hook (12/14) so you can see what you are actually doing and how to achieve the perfect knot.
I've been doing it for a few years now and don't always get it right first time, after a lot of practice however I can tell almost immediately when it's a good 'un.

john step

Reaction score
I have used them for donkeys years. (40 + I think). I cannot tie a spade end on with my clumsy fingers without one.
If I can do it, anyone can:wh

PS Been thinking. ( it didn't hurt too much)

I wonder if you who find them difficult pre tie your hooks at home?? I think the secret may lie in the lack of tension of the line which is to be whipped for a hooklink? You must keep a heavy weight on the spool.

I don't pre tie hooklinks. I loop to loop a hooklength when tackled up and tie it on at the waterside. The tension is therefore maintained by the rod top.
As I am never in a hurry ie in a match, it really is no bother to do it this way and just carry my hooks loose ready to be tied. I find this much more flexible as I can select whichever strength of hooklink I want as circumstances dictate.

Hope this helps?

Last edited:

sumtime

Reaction score
I wouldn't be without my Matchman, I found it easy enough. The first one I had I showed a young man how to tie with it, looking gobsmacked he said in broken English .."this is magic!" :eek: then I gave it to him.

You would of thought he had just won the lottery. :)

lambert1

Reaction score
Mine is in a drawer too and to hear far more experienced anglers than me have struggled makes me feel soooo much better! I put it down to ineptitude on my part, which is probably still the case but at least I am not alone!!!!!!!!!!!

flightliner

Reaction score
I've got to get the vac out now as several seize 20's have pinged around the living room and I don't want to end up in a Flight plight :D
Apound to a penny that when you found them they had all landed in a dead straight line:D.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just an aside to this thread re hooks, anyone living or travelling thro Worksop would be well advised to pay a call in Gregs tackle shop by the side of the Manton sports ground.
he has thousands of hooks to nylon in all the small sizes -- quality gear at fifty pence for ten, a real bargain and they' wont be there too long as they are flying off the shelves.
A top bloke who knows how to look after his customers.

robtherake

Reaction score
The Stonfo tyer's much better than the Matchman model, with the in-line tightening wheel being a nice touch. It makes tying spade-ends a cinch on the rare occasion that I use a hook smaller than a 16. I still have umpteen boxes of 50 from the days when I could still see to tie them. :rolleyes:

How to tie line to a spade-end hook

Mine came from the boot sale (naturally:)) from a "3 items for a quid" box, so a nice bargain. I got a Drennan one from the same place (10p) and already had the Matchman tyer (20p) from an earlier boot sale rummage. Judging by the giveaway prices, there aren't many people who can use them properly.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Nope. Complete crock of shoite IMO. Right up there with double handles, head torches and bream. I too bought one on a whim and it was very swiftly deposited in the bin. Nasty little thing.

It's a knack, Skip, like the Sensas loop tyers, which I wouldn't be without. All it takes is a bit of practice... and a Youtube video. :wh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfFcRt-shx4