Things you don't need on a rod...

ciprinus

Reaction score
If the rod performs to my expectations it can be emblazoned with neon lights for all I care.Laugh if you must but contrary to the above I would also like to see some rods that were camouflaged.:D

here you go then flighty ;) :eek:

carp-rod-prowess-kamrod-3g-z-415-41561.jpg

View image in gallery

reel too :wh

and just before you say it :eek:mg:

carp gear companies have something to answer for IMO :D

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
At least if your reel is cat spunk white, as Skippy so eloquently phrases it, you are unlikely to leave it on the bank when you pack up.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I don't like,

Anything Camo, a joke and con. I have to laugh at the amount of anglers that turn up to fishing shows, dressed head to toe in camo.

Bait boats,
Camo Reels,
Camo Rods,
Camo Alarms,
The river close season.

Did i mention Camo :eek:mg:

robtherake

Reaction score
I don't like,

Anything Camo, a joke and con. I have to laugh at the amount of anglers that turn up to fishing shows, dressed head to toe in camo.

Bait boats,
Camo Reels,
Camo Rods,
Camo Alarms,
The river close season.

Did i mention Camo :eek:mg:

Even DPM camo, Ray? Used British military clothing wears and wears....and the German and Dutch varieties are just as good. Cheap, too.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Having spent a couple of hours in Clarkies local shop this afternoon the thing I hate most on a rod is a little white label that says 250 nicker ! I had to walk away very quickly !

There was a bloke in there who bought a bait boat for upwards of 400 sovs. "How you gonna explain that to Er Indoors ? " says his mate .No problem says matey producing ( I kid you not) a book of cloakroom tickets from his pocket.

" I'll stick one of these on it and tell her I won it in a raffle !"

Genius !

B

binka

There was a bloke in there who bought a bait boat for upwards of 400 sovs. "How you gonna explain that to Er Indoors ? " says his mate .No problem says matey producing ( I kid you not) a book of cloakroom tickets from his pocket.

" I'll stick one of these on it and tell her I won it in a raffle !"

Genius !

Absolutely brilliant!

That even beats chucking the packaging and stopping on the way home to rub muck on stuff in the hope that it will blend in and not stand out as new :D

tom_moran

Reaction score
here you go then flighty ;) :eek:

reel too :wh

and just before you say it :eek:mg:

carp gear companies have something to answer for IMO :D
I actually have that set of rod rests, they are very good, I do tend to use them as singles more often than not however. And yes I've left one on a bankside and had to go back for it ?.

As for camo rods, I personally think the top third of a rod including rings should be cloud colour, surely a black rod tip spooks fish?

B

binka

It's no good me going down the camo route, I'm already capable of stepping on things if they were sprayed neon pink! :rolleyes:

robtherake

Reaction score
Just sneak it in and say naff all; buy it on the day you go fishing and it comes back in with the rest of your kit. When was the last time your Mrs gave your gear the once-over for new additions? The bait boat ruse is a good one, mind, but I can't see my other half falling for that: far too shrewd. ;)

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

It's no good me going down the camo route, I'm already capable of stepping on things if they were sprayed neon pink! :rolleyes:

Had a near-miss last time out. My favourite Drennan rod, laid down while I dealt with a fish and a balls-up. I backed-up and there was a snap that nearly stopped my ticker :eek:....looked down expecting the worst and I'd stepped on a dry twig a quarter-inch from the rod tip. :w

B

binka

As for camo rods, I personally think the top third of a rod including rings should be cloud colour, surely a black rod tip spooks fish?

I've pondered on this before when the matt v's gloss rod finish debates flare up.

Personally I don't reckon it makes a great deal of difference for a rod that's fished static on a rest, something like a fly or lure rod maybe but for static any sight of it by a fish would be from below in which case a matt finish will give a bolder outline against the sky line?

As opposed to gloss finish with a less bold outline to it, especially as the underside won't pick up any sun reflection anyway.

Perhaps... :confused:

robtherake

Reaction score
I must say I do think the rod is very likable, pity its a carp jobby, :D

Shame it's a Fladen, but here's a camo match rod. :D

Fladen Maxximusmatch Rod 5-20g - Camo, 3.9m: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31pN8xxCyjL.@@AMEPARAM@@31pN8xxCyjL

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

I've pondered on this before when the matt v's gloss rod finish debates flare up.

Personally I don't reckon it makes a great deal of difference for a rod that's fished static on a rest, something like a fly or lure rod maybe but for static any sight of it by a fish would be from below in which case a matt finish will give a bolder outline against the sky line?

As opposed to gloss finish with a less bold outline to it, especially as the underside won't pick up any sun reflection anyway.

Perhaps... :confused:

I modify dark-painted floats by painting them battleship grey and stippling a light grey pattern over the top to break up the outline. Rods aren't such a problem unless you're fishing under the tip, but the pole boys have spotted the issue and now supply white top kits for some models, so I understand.

Ace quote from another forum: "I tried this once and painted an old top kit a pale shade of grey in an attempt to immitate a Herons chest plumage. I cannot say for sure that it made any any difference to my catch rate but the standing on one leg for five hours made my back ache."