Bail or Bale?

B

binka

C'mon then lads which one is correct when referring to the bale/bail arm on a fixed spool reel?

I've seen both used and had the same dilemma when posting a reply yesterday and after much deliberation I opted, rightly or wrongly, for "bale" as this seemed to sum up the bale(ing) function of gathering the line onto the spool when engaged and reeling in.

Or is it bail as in "bailing it out" when the arm is open?

What d'ya reckon?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I reckon Levy got it wrong when he used the Bale out money to bail-out Tottering Hotspurs . . . .

I think most of the manufacturers though refer to it as . . . .

a "Bail Arm"

sumtime

Reaction score
This sounds about right to me, Ste.

The temporary release of an accused person awaiting trial, sometimes on condition that a sum of money is lodged to guarantee their appearance in court:
he has been released on bail

thecrow

Reaction score
Bail seems to be the most popular term used although bale is also used (goggled it) I have heard them called a variety of things though particularly ones on old Mitchell 300s :D

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this subject was discussed quite recently. Bale - referring to a "baling" action (as in wrapping a bale) was the informed answer.

laguna

Reaction score
Its got an i in it init?

To bail out (release from engagement)
Bale as in cricket bales to form a stump is how I remember it.

lamorna

Reaction score
I have no idea how I came up with this, but I always assumed that this was due to the motion of the rotating arm around the fixed spool of a fishing reel being akin to the agricultural baling machines when the straw stays still and the baler twine rotates around it. Hence 'Bale'