Greasing centrepins?

B

binka

I use the accepted standard, Singer sewing machine oil, to oil the spindles on my 'pins.

Hardy also recommend greasing the checkwheels too for which I use a general, multipurpose lithium grease and I have noticed an improvement to their free running since greasing on a regular basis in addition to oiling the spindles...

I can't recall ever hearing anyone talk about greasing their 'pins so, in addition to oiling, do you also grease and if not why not?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only ever oil mine Steve. Only place i'd put grease would be on the ratchet wheel but I don't, I just use singers oil for that also.

Keith M

Reaction score
I use sewing machine oil with a small amount of powdered graphite added (from a pencil).

I also use a thin layer of grease on the check wheel.

Keith

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I only use very old 'pins ( 50 years plus ) and in all that time I have only ever minimally oiled the spindle with fine oil and occasionally wiped the other workings with a oil DAMP cloth. How often depends on use but never less than twice a week or if I see the oil looking ' grey '.
This method ( instilled in me by my engineer father ) has served me well and the reels still run as smoothly and quietly as they ever did.....

REGULAR cleaning is the key and let's face it, its hardly a time consuming job, is it ?

Never seen the point in using any form of grease as regular cleaning with a light oil negates its use IMO. Car door hinges and the like are greased to lubricate and protect them over many months which shouldn't be how one looks after fishing reels....

Others will think differently and we are all entitled to an opinion !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am with Tee-Cee on this as I've only ever used sewing machine oil on all of my 'pins and fly reels.

I also agree that regular cleaning after each use, and a little oil if needed, is really all that is necessary.

thecrow

Reaction score
I know nothing about centre pin reels but I do know that grease will attract dust and grit particles which turns the grease into a grinding paste so perhaps light oil only is the way to go as others have said.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another thing I do...I have a small spong soaked in sewing machine oil, and after cleaning the reel and drying it I give it a rub all over including the spokes and nooks and crannies, then wipe it off with soft tissue to remove excess. Because I do this all my reels, even the ones that have had lots of use could pass for new ones...at the end of the day, it's all down to how botherd you are about the reel/reels.

B

binka

Thanks for the replies fellas.

It's also made me realise that I've gone three or four sessions without cleaning one of them and a session last week with the other which hasn't been touched since and so I've made the most of a rainy morning by doing them.

I'm now going into admire mode before they go back in the garage...

Tart! :)