Heath Robinson rides again…

B

binka

Thought I would show this off as I’m quite pleased with it, it’s a neater version of the improvised cupping kit which I cobbled together beside the water yesterday…

The reason for it was to overcome the strong southerly winds which I like to fish into on a particularly large water, even though I’m usually fishing the dibber under the rod tip it can get a bit messy and more miss than hit when trying to get chopped worm in by hand and if you get it bang on the strong tow will often deposit it feet away.

With the one pint round bait tub as the cup it will easily take a large jaffa and the landing net pole must be the best part of twenty years old, it’s a Daiwa 11’ 6” which I paid a fair amount of money for back in my pole fishing days but you can probably get ‘em for next to nowt now.

Anyway, I’ve laid it beside the handle I was using yesterday which just about gave me enough length at a stretch to cup over a dibber under a thirteen foot rod, I know the sums don’t add up there but a fair bit of the rod butt end does overlap the bank.

It actually gives me another five foot so it will be a doddle even when I’m using the fifteen foot rod and wanting to poke some feed out under the bushes.

Now...

If I could just come up with a hinged trap door in the bottom of the bait tub, activated by a pull chord running down the inside of the handle, it would save me having to turn it upside down to empty it :eek:mg:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
That's given me an idea for how not to waste the taste of the water I've just soaked my bread and bran in, or hemp or barley boiling water...cheers!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Nice bit of kit Binka !

Back in the 60's I has similar, but made from cane sections with a square box on the end made from perforate very thin brass. It worked but it was so ( top ) heavy with ground bait in the cup it became unwieldy and hard to control. Worked okay with hemp etc. Your effort is professional compared to what I put together............

I'm sure a trap door could be made to work with rod rings or similar but easier to turn the cup over I would imagine !

It'll be interesting to see if it works well, or perfectly....Either way, nice to see someone using the old grey matter !

Last edited: