Bagging maggots

sagalout

Reaction score
How long will maggots last when put in a poly bag with all (well most) of the air expelled and then kept in a cold fridge?

They go into a dormant like state (bit like my missus), do they need a daily walk to recover before repeating the proccess?

sagalout

Reaction score
When I put 'em in the fridge in a bait box they stink after a day or so, I might try using a click lock sealed box and take the lid of every day so they get a change of air.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If purchased fresh from your supplier then maggots should last approx. 1100°C hours.

So, if you keep them in the 'fridge (at around 4°C) then they should last, 24*4= 96, 1100/96= @ 11 days.

This also requires that you riddle them off every day and change the maize meal daily.

The length of time they will last at the bank-side varies depending on the ambient temperature, but the calculations are pretty simple . . . .

When I used to import maggots into Norway back in the 90's they would be bagged in polythene bags with all the air excluded and then sealed.

Typically it would take around 2 days for them to arrive and be cleared through customs. On inspection once opened up and placed in large storage trays they would look to be very extended in length and appeared to be pretty much motionless.

Nonetheless, within a few hours, maybe 6 or 7 they were back to their original size and shape, but we noticed that they would not last the (optimum) 1100°C hours and the longevity was reduced by up to 30%

In summary, you can easily transport freshly bought maggots in poly' bags, with the air excluded, but, they will not last as long as if transported in bait boxes

Those were my observations over a period of several years importing and in quantities of around 40 gallons every two weeks in the season (although no close season, per se) the lakes do freeze from around late October until late March and many of the rivers do so too.

sagalout

Reaction score
Thanks all, they survived the 2 days I needed (although I did let them out for a walk after 24 hours) they revived this morning and enjoyed their day trip (well maybe not all of them) and those that had the benefit of a round trip are now enjoying an arctic holiday in the freezer until they go out on their next works outing.