Maver Oculus 799

sagalout

Reaction score
As I said on another thread I won a a new on n ebay auction by home'n'lesuire for £511 delivered.

It arrived today and like a dog with two tails (that's the forum clean version, I was actually like a dog with two male chickens) I released it from it's superb packaging. It was in a capped cardboard tube of immense diameter and strength, even the couriers had failed to damage the tube in any way.

I comes all in four plastic tubes all housed in a maver platinum 6-8 tube holdall. The holdall is high quality and large, far bigger than my needs so I will probably put that on to ebay or gumtree.

The 16m section is in it's own tube and within it is one of the 3 powerlite side puller tops. The 14.5m is packed the same but houses 2 powerlite side puller tops. The half butt section is housed in another tube and the cupping kit top is in that tube as well. All the sections for the 13m pole and the side puller match top 3 is in the 4th and last tube.

The cups for the cupping kit are in a plastic bag along with 3 clean caps (foam'ish type inserts for the number 3, 4 and 5 sections suspossed to stop grit and sh-rhyming word entering) and a DVD telling you how fantastic maver are.

The cupping kit is a defferent length to all the other tops and the match top 3 is a different length to the power tops. If you discard the number one from the match top 3 it is still a different length to the power tops.

I will probably discard the number 1 and cut back the match kit to make it the same length as the power kits, unless someone gives me reason not to! The cupping kit will hopefully cut back to match the power kits.

Put it together and waggle in the garden, at 13m it is fantastic, 14.5 not so much and at 16m it ain't for me. I am sure it is good at 14.5 and 16m but it's not my cup of rosey.

When the bits arrive I shall elasticate it and try fishing with it.

More to come in time.

sagalout

Reaction score
Ok 2 disappointments to report, the 16.5 and 14.5m only have caps at one end (47mm) the other end (45mm) is bare, so I contacted home and leisure (thinking this was a shortage) and they said "Maver do not supply them", strange but true. However Val at home and leisure said they will try and source some for me.

The second disappointment was that the maver easy flow bungs (6 bluddy quid each :eek:) have to be cut to fit the top kits. The maver videos lead me to believe they would fit straight in, I know they didn't on my elite carp 2 but because the video said they did I stoopidly believed them.

sagalout

Reaction score
Made the decision not to cut the match three to be the same length as the power tops, not a huge difference in length with the number one removed. Went to the tackle shop and had a play with the bushes for the end of the match kit number 2 and the drennan external bull nose carp 2 for elastic 14 to 20 fits like it was made for the job. I have elasticated the top with a double number 6 and we shall see how it fishes tomorrow.

Haven't got the hollow elastics from Nick Gilbert yet so this will be my only top kit for the moment so I shall got to a pond that is reputedly stuffed with crucians but I only caught one when I went last.

sagalout

Reaction score
I had over thirty crucians today plus three small tench, half a dozen carp some small chub, roach and rudd. Fed an initial small handfull of micros in two separate spots at 11.5m then lassoed an oiled 4mm pellet and feed a squeezey drink bottle cap/cover of dampened four mills every put in. When one spot went quiet re-feed it with micros and moved to the other spot.

The pokle was faultless. Tried, just before packing up, slapping at 13m, no problems at all. So all in all well pleased with the pole. Tempted to try 14.5m to an island next time to see how it performs.