Updating/Upgrading/Renewing

sagalout

Reaction score
When do you update/upgrade/renew? As soon as a "better" item comes out? When the item you own is absolutely cattled? When you think ooh shiney?

john step

Reaction score
When its falling apart and stuff starts bursting out the holes:eek:

sagalout

Reaction score
Like you John, I normally only replace if it's cattled but I sometimes get the urge when a better version comes out. At the moment I have several preston accessory arms that are perfectly good but I do like the new snaplok system so I am very tempted to change but my wallet says NO!

B

binka

I'm pretty much happy with my lot and don't really feel the impulse to go out and buy anything but then I put a lot in over a fair amount of time in getting things how I wanted them.

I will replace if something's about had it but that's mostly peripheral stuff such as chairs (!), brollies etc when required.

As things stand I don't have the slightest inclination to go out and lust over the latest this, that or the other.

Never say never though! :D

robtherake

Reaction score
When summat breaks; when a no-brainer bargain presents itself; when the current bit of equipment has proved itself to be unfit for purpose; when a gift comes my way as part of accepted consumer culture - i.e. Christmas, birthday and Dad's day.:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
It depends on the item. For most things, when they are too knackered to function properly. For rods and reels, whenever I feel like it. If there's something that might be a fraction better than I have, I'll probably buy it sooner or later to find out for myself. I don't much care if it's brand new to the market or thirty years old. My minimum requirement when it comes to rods is that it's carbon, has proper lined rings throughout and has a locking reel seat. The latter can be waived for an exceptional rod or if the sliding rings aren't the metal type.

theartist

Reaction score
Just because it's newer or updated doesn't mean it's better. It seems more often than not something you love and fits the bill perfectly gets changed to it's own and your own detriment.

Therefore i'd go by the old adage every time - If it ain't broke.....

nhs service

Reaction score
Rods tend to come and go. Firstly because of technological advances.
Much as I loved my Shakespeare Alpha match in that gorgeous honey coloured polyestel, when carbon came along it got replaced.
Secondly, despite falling for the hype some wonder rods just don't feel right. It's a very different matter on the bank to the time honoured waggle in the tackle shop. Fair enough, casting all over the place, wrap arounds, bumped fish etc are largely down to my own incompetence, if it keeps happening though I will look for another rod.
Thirdly, sometimes the tackle manufacturers design something that is ideal for a particular situation, the various tackle forums offer a consensus on certain products across the board so it would be daft not to take advantage if it suits a need.
Fourthly, sheer frivolous wanting of the lovely shiny things. Guilty.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It tends to be patina, rather than shine, that bypasses my logic circuit and goes straight for the "gloat" centre of the brain. Harcork and Auger floats, Bakelite reels, cane rods... last major lapse was an Allcocks' "Eclipse". That, bent in a quarter circle by a barbel, is a joy to behold, and even better to hold.
The hours spent trawling fleabay and schlepping round car-boot sales don't always pay off; a 14' built cane monster, for example, is unlikely to be deployed until I find the perfect spot for it, which will involve banks firm enough to support a serious rod-rest or three, ten feet of weeds or shallows to reach past, and some roach worth all the bother. With all that leverage against me, roach are about the biggest fish I'd dare try for with it, a chub would have me swivelling round on my seat like a weather-cock. Still, for the price of a fried chicken supper for two, it would have been rude not to.
Unkind, too; unused cane suffers, you know. It hangs there in its bags, pining for a day out by a river, and stops me sleeping well.

thecount

Reaction score
If I've got the cash and I want it I'm taking it home, life is short and you only get one go
Also, so long as I can smuggle it past my missus :wh

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As fairly new to the sport latley all my kit has been built up over last year , but I have gone for quality kit except my 1st float rod was given to me a dam 3 section carbon rod . All my other course rods are drennan 7's and reels are shimano dls or a diwia but if I need something il buy it but I'm at the stage now when I don't need much more I need it's just oh that will make life easier etc . As I'm not a huge carp fisherman I don't have hoards of stuff like bivvy and cooking stuff .

But I had a drennan carryall for Xmas but already got a medium Nash one ... Now Nash one is empty what do I do with it sell it on ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk