headlamp

john step

Reaction score
Just had a delivery of a new headlamp from Ebay. It has two white and one red setting and is advertised as waterproof for the price of less than £7 delivered.

It looks suspiciously like those in a big mail order tackle catalogue that is being sold for "just £14.99".

thecrow

Reaction score
Very few if any headlamps are made specifically for the angling market, most are repackaged and repriced upwards from other markets such as cycling so I wouldn't surprise me if yours is exactly the same as the more expensive one

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are loads of items that are repackaged, rebranded and have the prices adjusted accordingly. With regards to fishing brands, it's most commonly seen with non-angling specific products such as clothing, cookware, lighting, stoves etc. If you can find the same item unbranded, direct from manufacturing source, or from a less popular/unknown brand, you are likely to get it for a much better price.

sagalout

Reaction score
I think the energizer ones are hard to beat, on ebay for between 5 and 6 of your good English pounds and guaranteed to pi££ skippy off :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Erh.....I take it you don't night fish then, maybe scared of bogey man :D.....lols

Quite the opposite. I do fish after dark and it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the idiots who insist on wearing 10000000000000000 candle power headlamps at the slightest hint of a cloud, having them permanently on and shining them on the water and in my eyes. Ignorant selfish girly idiots.

And completely unnecessary.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Quite the opposite. I do fish after dark and it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the idiots who insist on wearing 10000000000000000 candle power headlamps at the slightest hint of a cloud, having them permanently on and shining them on the water and in my eyes. Ignorant selfish girly idiots.

And completely unnecessary.

As you can probably tell that I was only joking mate :D

I totally agree with you here as I also can't stand bright head lamps,

I've got two identical lamps in me bag and are the ones with the auto turn on and off with the sensor, wave hand in front of head and it instantly turns it on or off and can alter the brightness and beam,

I never have mine on bright and only use it to bait up facing away from the river and also for unhooking and returning any fish,

Most of the night it'll be off as I prefer me eyes to become focused with the natural night light :thumbs:

ken more

Reaction score
1000000000000000 candle power from a headlamp:eek::eek::eek: How many batteries and how do you balance them on your head:confused::D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
1000000000000000 candle power from a headlamp:eek::eek::eek: How many batteries and how do you balance them on your head:confused::D

Believe me, Ken........I've been out some nights when the light show has been like an RAF raid on the Ruhr. I've even seen blokes set up floodlamps so they can film themselves blanking ! It is just so damned inconsiderate !

I have a cap with 2 LEDs in. It goes on to rebait then it goes off. If I'm lucky enough to get a fish it goes on to land it too. It's not been on very often lately !

robtherake

Reaction score
I bought a Cree LED headlamp direct from China for a fiver or so. It's adjustable for width of beam and intensity; at its maximum setting and tightest focus it throws a beam from the upper promenade to the start of the beach - maybe as much as 100yds. Power drain at full whack sees the batteries lasting about an hour, though. It's perhaps most useful for walking the dog on the blackest of nights, avoiding the presents left behind by less enlightened owners. Even at its lowest setting it's too bright for regular fishing, although Stoney recommends the use of illumination to encourage chub and roach at night, with the latter species encouraged by lights that penetrate well beneath the surface, so who knows? The tench and crucians we caught at night weren't shy of the beam from the cycle lamps that illuminated our floats, for sure.

For general night use I've got a 2 quid el cheapo special from some discount store or other. It's strong enough to light the way home and has a red setting for baiting and fiddling on: what more could you need?

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Whatever its provenance/cost keep the damn thing away from me please ! Bloody things !

Oh dear. Its a headlamp for changing a bit of tackle in the dark. Are you saying you dont have any form of torch to use when out at night fishing?

Doesn't have a lot of candle power. Adjusts downwards so no to disturb others. Even has a red light that stops any disturbance to others. Its not a search light.
I dont know anyone who can pack up in pitch dark and not have a check around to make sure no tackle is lost.

Its good for finding my way back along deserted Trent river banks so not to fall in. Also good for putting stuff in the car and changing shoes after said session.

We are not talking about powerful torches here. Sorry to have offended you.

B

binka

My headlamp has seen more use this last week than it ever has on the bank, not that it's not been on the bank but I just prefer not to use it if I can get away with it.

But as for providing some much needed extra light in the comfort of the living room whilst doing a spot of evening float making it is par excellence :)

Edited to add: Like you John I find it invaluable when packing away and making my way back along the riverbank, or for when I get into a bit of a tizzy with something.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with headlamps/torches per se......It's the unnecessary and indiscriminate use of very bright lights I take issue with. I really do not understand why some people need to have them on permanently. What are they doing that needs so much light ?

And ( of course) the light shines wherever they look which drives me nuts and often costs me my night vision. A small discreet light should be all anyone needs.