Small baitrunner reels.

neil swift

Reaction score
Hi, i'm considering buying a pair of Wychwood Barbel rods and i'm looking to buy a couple of small baitrunners to team them up with. I'm on a bit of a budget, at a push i could go to £50 each but i'd really prefer to spend less (it would be great to get the pair for £70ish), so most of the Shimano models are sadly out of my reach.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at the Okuma's they certainly fit the bill price wise but are they any good?

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Yes they are Neil. Not as good as the Shimano though.

I have a Shimano Aero 5000RE which I load with 8 - 10lb line and it does very nicely for barbel on the Hants Avon. You can pick these up for a tad under £50. In addition, the Okuma Interceptor Pro reels I use (the 40 and 50 size) are workmanlike and reliable and you should get them for about £30.

In your price bracket I would recommend you look at these. As I've said, I use them and am happy to continue using them. Nuff said!

Coxy

Reaction score
A friend of mine has been belting out large deadbaits with heavy leads for a while nowwith thesize 50 Okuma Interceptors which seem to have taken the punishment ok.

I noticed that both reels from newmade a slight scraping noise when put under pressurebutthis has notgot any worse &i think they all do this.

Also,the anodized spool damages easily so don't go scraping it along the gravel, apart from that i don't think you will find a better reel for the money & i much prefere the front clutches.

I can't comment on the new cheaper Shimano's as i am still using my old 6010's which have been excellent reels.

neil swift

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, i think i'll probably go for Okuma's in the end, as much as i'd love to splash out on shiny new Shimano's i really shouldn't at the moment.

Paul B

Reaction score
Ihave okumas(interceptor and polycast)in 30, 40& 60 size as i prefer front drag and think they're excellent for the money. pair here with 20% off, so £48 +post.

Shimanos are smoother but I'd have to pay £100 for a front drag model.

Alternatively, Daiwa regal BRI/ BRI plusseem to get good write ups and are around £30-45ish.

Tommo!

Reaction score
Mitchell Avorunner.

Two for £29.99 (rrp £35 each)at Cheshire Angling.

Not had any dramas with mine but seeing that they also come with a lifetime guarantee I'm confident that there won't be (just jinxed myself).

neil swift

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, i rather like the look of the Diawa's now, i've read a few good reviews and can get them for £29.99 each.

That's a good idea eric, i'll have a check on ebay and see what's on offer.

KAR

Reaction score
I bought the Shimano ST10000RA a couple of weeks ago and although it's only 2ball bearing and there are some slightly better models on the market, the price was great and I'm very happy with them. I got them for £54.99 each but the ST6000 are £49.99. They hold around 250lb of 15lb 0.37mm line and can have up to 545 of 10lb! Great reels especially if you're on a budget. Possibly the cheapest Shimano baitrunner on the market.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Neil

I've got okuma interceptors in 40 and 50 sizes and they're brilliant, they just get the job done!