Catering for the little guy...

theartist

Reaction score
On the subject of varnish, we all seem to use types(I use Yacht varnish) which are shiny and leave a lovely finish especially on those which are well made like the ones in the photo.

Yet when you by a float in the shop it's almost matt in appearance and I believe the flouro colours are brighter as there's no darkeneing of the varnish. What do they use?

B

binka

when you by a float in the shop it's almost matt in appearance and I believe the flouro colours are brighter as there's no darkeneing of the varnish. What do they use?

That's crossed my mind too, I wondered if a matt flouro presented a better outline than a glossy one but I somehow suspect the whole varnish thing might be something more to do with the practicalities of materials involved in mass production.

Maybe?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just purchased some Rizov floats including these pellet waggler floats, love to know what paint he uses, I've never seen a brighter more visual float, beautifully made too.

The camera doesn't convey the illuminating power of this paint.

B8E9938E-0D9D-45D8-B84B-0947C1615ADD_zpsw7dosk9r.jpg

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
On the subject of varnish, we all seem to use types(I use Yacht varnish) which are shiny and leave a lovely finish especially on those which are well made like the ones in the photo.

Yet when you by a float in the shop it's almost matt in appearance and I believe the flouro colours are brighter as there's no darkeneing of the varnish. What do they use?

They use a Matt lacquer Rob,

What I tend to do with new floats IE peacock quills is actually paint them in yacht varnish so it gives em an extra protective coat as some new floats I've actually noticed absorb a little water at times and when I've dotted floats right down I've even he'd to take small shot back off in the past because the float has sunk more,

With the coat of yacht varnish I've never had problems since :thumbs: