Ballabeni shot

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been looking for an alternative make of shot as most the ones I've used are similar to "shot" with a one vowel difference?

Just come across Ballabeni shot, available from the usual suspects in the smaller sizes of 8 and upwards. I've noticed that one seller advertises larger sizes in this shot but states "not available in UK"

Does this mean the larger sizes are made with lead?

mikench

Reaction score
I have no idea but I have just bought some Anchor double cut shot which I hope will prove easier, particularly in the smaller sizes, to apply! It looks like it will be and it comes in standard black and camo!

fishplate42

Reaction score
Sorry, a bit late on seeing this regarding the use of Ballabeni shot. I think the supplier is referring to this, it is from the gov.uk website, Freshwater rod fishing rules:

Lead weights
You can only use lead weights if they’re .06 grams or less or more than 28.35 grams. This means lead shot weights from size 14 to size 8 and lead weights over 1 ounce.
Lead is toxic to birds, so if you’re using lead dust shot make sure the containers are spill proof.

I use and like Ballabeni Shot in the 'legal' sizes. It is much easier to use than the normal spherical stuff that is all made by Dinsmore and sold under several brands. The only problem with the Ballabeni Shot is the boxes it comes in. They are not very secure and most certainly do not fulfil the other part of the rule stating they should be supplied in spill proof containers.

36135894445_a16d566dc8_c.jpg

I made a small slide case for mine that the boxes fit tightly into but I tend to use it at home only because the containers it is supplied are definitely not spill proof. Because if this I use Dinsmore or preferably Stotz on the bank. I have been saving my old Stotz containers to decant the Ballabeni into eventually - it might take a while!

Ralph.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I believe that the Ballabeni is made of lead regardless of the size.
Having recently found some old lead shot, I gave it a try on some line at home. As I thought I remembered, it's fantastic for not damaging line and being able to slide it. However, one thing I'd forgotten was how much of a complete PITA it is to actually remove (unless you cut the line and slide it off). Without even realising it, I've got rather used to, and accepting of, the better types of non-toxic shot.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I believe that the Ballabeni is made of lead regardless of the size.

I think that is the case as it only seems to be available (in the UK) in the legal sizes.

I do find it much easier to use than other round shot I have tried.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Ralph, like you I have decanted the shot into more useable containers.

sagalout

Reaction score
If only someone had said they wanted stotz containers, I keep binning me empties. I shall now save them up and offer them on here as freebies.