Old Shakespeare Rod

lakhyaman

Reaction score
This is all that is left of an old Shakespeare float rod that I bought around 1985 - 86. I bought it alongside a Shakespeare Team Carbon Multi Tip 1875 360 Quiver tip rod which might help to date it.

006_zpsfimwdalp.jpg

In fact this remnant fits as a stiff tip and I have often used it for float fishing with the Omni.!

I thought the rod was a President Deluxe but I am not sure after looking through the internet. it had a burgundy blank with a Kevlar wrap from butt to tip and was 13 ft. long. May have been a boron rod.

I would be thrilled if someone could identify it for me.

I have suddenly been bitten by unnecessary nostalgia re this rod (it was one of the first carbon rods I owned (or was it boron?).

Any pointers towards a second hand one in good condition would also be appreciated.

All the best

Lakhyaman

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure which rod your fragment comes from, but it doesn't look like a President tip. Nor does it look like the Mach 2 Boron which I owned for years.

So, not much help, sorry. But I thought you might like to know you're not the only angler occasionally using the remains of 1980's Shakespeare rods.

In the pic below, the cork handle and reel fittings are from a 1984 Mach 2 Boron. The handle has been shortened at both ends, with a spigot added to fit sections of a light leger rod, making a short wand to use under an umbrella. The black piece in front of the reel fittings is a length of bicycle inner tube, stopping them from sliding off.

I hate to throw (a piece of )a good rod away, and the cork is better quality than any on any rod I've bought recently.

Hope someone identifies your rod.

mach_2.jpg

robtherake

Reaction score
The Mach 2 Boron had a bottle green blank and I don't recall there being any cross-wrap strengthening on the spliced tip section. Does anyone have a mid-eighties Shakespeare catalogue?

Do you still have the Team Carbon Multi-tip? I bought one from the Bay which had only three of the four original fibreglass tips; typically the longest, most sensitive one was missing. Ended up buying a second rod just for the tips.:eek: IMHO it's still a great rod.:thumbs:

BTW, the rod tip looks very much like my Silstar Dia-flex Kevlar float rod, which is a brown blank with a gold cross-wrap.

Last edited:

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Eureka! Robtherake has it. My apologies for sending people down the wrong trail with this "Presidential " misrepresentation. But Rob has "trumped" that. Just could not remember the "Victory" label. I bought the rod for £120/- in the eighties. You can buy superb rods for less today!

Rob
I still have the Team Carbon Multi Tip. I use it regularly and have all the tips. I have many other tip rods from much more celebrated makers but I think it holds its own very well.

Binka
Thanks for the link it was extremely interesting and thanks for your interest.

Nottskev
Brilliant adaptation. Like you I find it very difficult to throw away broken tackle. I put them into the "infirmary" and it is amazing how often the "sick and wounded" find a new role in the entrapment of fish.

I now have to search the web to see if I can find one to replace my long gone rod.

Thanks again to all for your interest and help.

All the best

Lakhyaman