Rod Making

M

MCMILLIGAN

I have recently obtained a "concise notes on rod making for the pratical angler by J.B.WALKER" i have read the little 24 page book from cover to cover and feel the need to have a bash at making a rod for the local river, but i am struggling to obtain "whole canes" or "reeds" to begin the process i have asked a few of the older guys that i Know but they have just laughed because im 15 and that i want to make my own rod they say " Rods are cheaper than ever buy one from the tackle shop" but i don't want to do this i would rather make a rod that will last me years and years than buy a import. so if any of you guys no where i coould get cane and cork from can you please contact me.

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
I wish you luck on this venture david, it means a lot more catching a fish on a rod that you have built yourself /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

just sorry I can't help you out with what you are after /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Try here, and

here,

and on this site, go to the "Work Party" list and seek out articles by Malcolm. They'll give you an idea of what your letting yourself in for.

For a first project, I'd suggest a refurbishment rather than a complete build. Ebay can be a good source of old rods to practice on, and old glass rods often sell for less than the value of their rings, let alone their ferrules - worth considering if they're local and can be collected.

I'd forget Spanish reed; it was used for its "lightness" (ha!) and rigidity to build long, fast-actioned rods for small (mainly) roach. Now that carp are as common as sparrows used to be, it wouldn't last a season.

A rod of built cane all through, or built on the old "Nottingham" pattern (Light, strong, stiff Tonkin cane butt giving length, built-cane middle and tip sections giving the "action") can still be seriously useful.

Good luck!