A tentative pin question

jimlad

Reaction score
I appreciate this question often has a myriad of differing opinions, however I'm in the market for a new centrepin, with a budget of £150.

It'll be used for grayling fishing on the upper tees, and as it's been a few years since I've looked into centrepins, I was just wondering what my options are and whether there are any newer reels on the market that are getting rave reviews?

You opinions would be most appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I appreciate this question often has a myriad of differing opinions, however I'm in the market for a new centrepin, with a budget of £150.

It'll be used for grayling fishing on the upper tees, and as it's been a few years since I've looked into centrepins, I was just wondering what my options are and whether there are any newer reels on the market that are getting rave reviews?

You opinions would be most appreciated

Going off your budget Jim, I reckon your going to be looking at the okuma reels, a sheffield, raw or aventa pro. All three of those are great reels.
If your prepared to look on ebay at new unused or little used reels then you'll have more variations including youngs reels which are also great reels.

thecrow

Reaction score
Even with my very limited experience of centrepins I have learned that what suits one doesn't suit another and I have quickly identified characteristics that I prefer on a reel such as where the ratchet button is and does it have a line guard, other things such as quality of manufacture are of lesser importance to me as I haven't the experience to notice any difference (so I am told :D )

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
There is a hardy greys bewick on flea bay for £119 brand new.

This is the number 142530078507

There is also an Okuma Sheffield at the same price. I've got both reels...and imo.they are both excellent pins. The Bewick is narrower and lighter than the Sheffield and it's my favourite of the two because it just feels better balance wise on a light rod. The Sheffield also has what I consider to be a really badly thought out and positioned check button. The Bewick is a true pin whereas the Sheffield is a bearing reel if that matters to you...it doesn't to me but it does to some.

Personally I would steer clear of the cheaper pins....which is not to say some of them are not decent reels, but many are junk and a lot of them the same reel with a different name.Theres not much else within your budget bar maybe an Okuma Aventa which is again a good pin but not to my taste aesthetically. Thereafter you are looking at £250 + it seems unless you can pick up a good second hand example. All bar 1 of my pins i picked up second hand and ive not had a pup yet.

I'm a bit out of touch but I'm not aware of anything else in that price range that's flying off the shelves.

Last edited:

jimlad

Reaction score
Thanks mate, will have a look

jimlad

Reaction score
Cheers for the suggestions. It sounds like okuma's are the way forward

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Cheers for the suggestions. It sounds like okuma's are the way forward

Apart from that awful check button. I rarely use my Sheffield because of it. Before parting with any cash I would really,really recommend you try and get hold of one to play with....just to be certain you can deal with the nasty little blighter.

thecrow

Reaction score
I've just done a bit of googling and notice a madfish wild river centrepin for £90. Anybody have any reviews of this? Don't worry, I'll likely still be after an okuma, just intrigued!

MadFish Wild River Centre Pin Reel - Johnson Ross Tackle

I had one for a short while, it had a ratchet button that was in a difficult place to reach so it was sold, I like to be able to engage/disengage the ratchet with one hand and not be reaching round with my left hand to do it (I am right handed) I must say the Berwick I replaced it with although not as pretty seems better engineered to me running totally silent when spun.

Amazon are doing them for £70

jimlad

Reaction score
I've just seen a 1 out of 5 review on amazon for the madfish. I'll think again!

jimlad

Reaction score
Hypothetically, If the budget was to double to £300, what would the suggestions be then? I've set a budget of £150 to try and restrict the selection, but that's not to say I couldn't increase this.

I'm also intrigued to see if okumas would still be up there with the selection at that price?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hypothetically, If the budget was to double to £300, what would the suggestions be then? I've set a budget of £150 to try and restrict the selection, but that's not to say I couldn't increase this.

I'm also intrigued to see if okumas would still be up there with the selection at that price?

You'll have a much wider range of reels to look at
if you have 300 to play about with.
There will be some second hand/unused reels available on auction sites, facebook etc well worth looking at. .
You can look at reels like the youngs reels, the purist, BJ etc. The youngs reels are ball race reels but are very decent reels and you can pick them up new for around 200.

trotter2

Reaction score
Hi Jim
As a local angler I know you have already had a few of the mentioned reels suggested. ;)
Not much has changed mate since the last time we had a meeting up. The okuma still gets my vote from the new bearing reels out there.
Not the most classic looking reels but a proper workhorse as you already know.:thumbs:

puffer_

Reaction score
To echo others; under £150 the Okuma Sheffield would be (and was!) My choice.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Double your budget and you bring Youngs reels into it as Tigger says. I'd then be looking at the Youngs BJ pin. I have one of those too and it's a belter. It's the Bewick and the BJ that see most banktime out of all my pins....which one I use being dictated by what b.s. line is loaded on each.

I got my Sheffield out last night just to be sure i was doing it justice. It is that bit heavier IMO than the others, runs beautifully but that check button is just such a bloody pain. If I'd known quite how much of a pita it is I doubt I'd have bought it.

thecrow

Reaction score
How do you find your Bewick Graham and do you like it?

I like the feel of it and I have put line on it but haven't a clue how it will perform on a rod as due to circumstances I havent been out with it yet, still its something to look forward to when I get the chance to use it :)