A neat little solution.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've used those (or variations on the theme) on poles before. However, I've not seen any for years, not that I've really looked. I never tried them on a rod though.

Might be a little bit alkward getting them over the rod handle or the bottom guides?
I've no idea obviously but unless they are very stretchy that may well be an issue.

Philip

Reaction score
Just to add to my earlier comments, I did actually think of one occasion when a keeper was an advantage for me so I thought it only fair to post it…

This was when lure fishing with small plugs or lures with 2 sets of trebles that are quite close together. Sometimes if you hook it in a rod ring what can happen as you walk along is that the second treble which is dangling free can sort of catch up on the rod ring as well and you end up with both trebles tangled together with the rod ring and it can actually be quite difficult to untangle them all. Its even worse with 3 legged rings as there is more for the treble to catch up on.

In this circumstance using the hook keeper can avoid the problem.

Keith M

Reaction score
Might be a little bit alkward getting them over the rod handle or the bottom guides?
I've no idea obviously but unless they are very stretchy that may well be an issue.

I thought the same when I got them tigger, but they do seem to be stretchy enough to fit over a rod handle (I haven’t actually used one yet).

If you know of any anglers who pole fish, get some old pole elastic off them and make your own.
or another alternative is a packet of Drennan pole winder anchors , wrap around rod blank and put one end through
the other,

You might possibly be better off with just using a rubber band rather than using a pole float anchor Mark.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score

I suspect you and I might not be too keen on the prospect of every size of hook ending up jiggling about very close to, or in contact with, the blank. No element of stand off in a bit of elastic/rubber.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought the same when I got them tigger, but they do seem to be stretchy enough to fit over a rod handle (I haven’t actually used one yet).

You might be better off with just using a rubber band than using a pole float anchor Mark.

Keith

I wonder if the constant pressure of a powerfull band could weaken the carbon?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suspect you and I might not be too keen on the prospect of every size of hook ending up jiggling about very close to, or in contact with, the blank. No element of stand off in a bit of elastic/rubber.

Yeah, I think i'd have to opt for the fuji if I where to get any. Fuji reel seats and guides are my favourite fittings anyhow as they seem to be the best quality.

Keith M

Reaction score

Most of my rods have various hook keepers (of different designs) fitted already, but as long as the rubber ones will stretch enough to fit the occasional rod that doesn’t then it should be ok as I will only be using light floats or light link legers with smallish hooks, and not 3oz leads or anything like that.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Most of my rods have hook keepers fitted already, but as long as the rubber ones will stretch enough to fit then they should be ok for use on the odd rod as I will only be using light floats and light link legers with smallish hooks, and not 3oz leads or anything like that.

My issue would not be in excessive weight (though I doubt any of these gizmos would cope with having much more than 0.5 to 1oz hanging off them), simply a hook and its point coming into contact with the blank and potentially moving about. I don't like the prospect of needlessly marking my rods. I like to keep gear in the best possible condition whilst still using it for its intended purpose. The little Fuji gizmo marking the rod was a concern I had initially.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My issue would not be in excessive weight (though I doubt any of these gizmos would cope with having much more than 0.5 to 1oz hanging off them), simply a hook and its point coming into contact with the blank and potentially moving about. I don't like the prospect of needlessly marking my rods. I like to keep gear in the best possible condition whilst still using it for its intended purpose. The little Fuji gizmo marking the rod was a concern I had initially.

Crikey ! And I thought The Binkmeister was a bit OCD.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I wonder if the constant pressure of a powerfull band could weaken the carbon?

The Drennan pole anchors have a hole at each end, so when threaded through one end can be pulled through a little more to create a standoff, also they are low diameter and not powerful like an elastic band, if using pole elastic, tie it around blank and put a loop in the end for a standoff for hook, easier than it seems.

Philip

Reaction score
Not that I am really that worried what my rods look like but I have to say some of those rubber gizmos sticking out from the blank must look a bit out of place on some of the elite rods.

Sort of like hanging furry dice in a Rolls Royce..:wh:)