thigh waders

john step

Reaction score
I am considering thigh waders as the places where I pike seem to have banks even more difficult this year. There is even more lack of distinction between the water and the bank due to excessive marginal reed growth necessitating a bit of marginal wading to access some places enough to land fish.

As its about 30 years since I owned a pair things seemed to have moved on.
Are neoprene waders warmer than conventional rubber ones?

I hate cold feet!

Anyone use neoprene waders. Advice please.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use rubber thigh waders John. If it's really cold I just wear a pair of thermal tights/pants underneath my ordinary kecks. I also wear a pair of long knee length socks,i've found woolen ones to be best. I have worn neoprene chest waders but never neoprene thigh waders. I can say I really disliked the neoprene chest waders and when I replaced them I got breathable chest waders instead which have proved to be warmer as they allow me to wear layers of clothing enough to keep me warmer. The neoprenes felt too restrictive and uncomfortable and weren't as warm as they're cracked up to be.
It might be an idea for you to go in a shop and try some on....if you can be @rsed lol.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've found neoprene (I have chesties, not thigh length) are good for when it turns a tad cold, never owned rubber so can’t comment.

B

binka

I would go for a quality, neoprene lined rubber.

My Le Cham wellies are perfectly warm in winter and these are neoprene lined, I have a pair of their waders too but a basic pair which are just cotton lined and they are like a fridge by comparison.

Might be worth going for a size bigger too, to accommodate thick socks and the dreaded compression if you're in the water for any length of time.

Edited to add:

For my money I would be going for something like these, at fifty quid or so they're not the cheapest but they're far from the more expensive ones and they're half the price of what I paid for mine and they look twice as good...

YouTube

Stillwater Neoprene Lined Rubber Thigh Waders – Glasgow Angling Centre

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would go for a quality, neoprene lined rubber.

My Le Cham wellies are perfectly warm in winter and these are neoprene lined, I have a pair of their waders too but a basic pair which are just cotton lined and they are like a fridge by comparison.

Might be worth going for a size bigger too, to accommodate thick socks and the dreaded compression if you're in the water for any length of time.

Edited to add:

For my money I would be going for something like these, at fifty quid or so they're not the cheapest but they're far from the more expensive ones and they're half the price of what I paid for mine and they look twice as good...

YouTube

Stillwater Neoprene Lined Rubber Thigh Waders – Glasgow Angling Centre

They've gott'a be worth a stab at that price!

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
In the end , as I don't in tend to spend a lot of time in the water wading just getting in and out to facilitate landing and release, I opted for a pair of heavy duty waders with studs from fleebay for £34.99 and a pair of neoprene boot socks.
Looking forward to fishing for the pike in the drains and being able to get near the water.