Spring tips

B

binka

This came up during a conversation over the last few weeks but I can't for the life of me remember who with.

The quiver tip has survived the test of time as has, to a lesser degree, the swing tip, I believe Tri Cast still market a dedicated swing tip rod and probably amongst a few others.

But spring tips?

I remember them well but until recently I had forgotten that they ever existed so does anyone still use one and why do we think they have generally fallen out of favour as the years have gone by, they seem a sensitive enough idea imo?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've seen no new spring tips for a few years. The last I recall were possibly produced by Tricast for some of their rods. Prior to that, I'd suspect that Drennan produced some of the screw in type. Though I rather liked a swing tip many years ago, I don't recall ever using a spring tip.

john step

Reaction score
I did try one in the dim and distant past. I couldnt get on with it. I found it too sensitive in that any tow on still water would fold it over so you were actually fishing with the rod top for bites.
I seem to remember the Shakey wand with the ultra fine tips did far better for me.
Less floppy wobbly to cast as well.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Bought one many years ago only used it once could not get on with it,think it's still in my box have to give it another go.

mikench

Reaction score
I thought this thread was going to give me tips for spring! I have a few swing tips but that floppiness is disconcerting!:)

robtherake

Reaction score
I did try one in the dim and distant past. I couldnt get on with it. I found it too sensitive in that any tow on still water would fold it over so you were actually fishing with the rod top for bites.
I seem to remember the Shakey wand with the ultra fine tips did far better for me.
Less floppy wobbly to cast as well.

Some spring tips were adjustable; pushing the tip further into the spring stiffened the action. I still have a few of the Drennan ones, but they ain't been out of the box since the old king died. If anyone wants them (assuming they can be found, that is) just ask.:)

nottskev

Reaction score
I have a couple of Tri-cast springtips, and I made one myself only a few weeks ago. They are limited to shortish range - say up to 20m or so - and to water that's not towing too much. But, in the right circumstances, to see how they magnify shy bites and how fish hard to hit on quivertips hang on is quite an eye-opener.

The reason why? I think it's because as you pull a quiver tip around, the resistance becomes progressively greater and the fish twig and let go. With a springtip, once the initial resistance of the spring is overcome, the tip folds around without getting noticeably stiffer and you have that much longer to hit a bite before it becomes a pull on the rod tip. At the same time, it holds still better than a swingtip, and can be used more effectively in very deep water, as, unlike with a swingtip, it's no problem if the line is pointing down rather than out.

They were popular in the northwest, where a lot of fishing back in the day was for shy smallish fish on hard waters - not many people's first choice, but all that was available to some.

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
I used to use them as a youngster on the canal catching what every came along on maggots . You could easily fish the far bank with them ,something I didn't have the skill to do at the time with a float . Bites were easy to see and to hit . Might see if I still have any , I enjoy the quirky ways of fishing:)

rubio

Reaction score
I do believe I have one or two of these lurking in a box somewhere. Not used one in the last couple of decades tho. Drennan were the only ones I know of and were great for those of us who couldn't afford another rod. Most cheap to average rods had a screw fitting on the tip ring. They did work for me then, but now I think quivertips are much improved and more effective. Pulling the quiver section up through the spring a bit does allow it to move along the lines of a swingtip, but who would be using a rod with a screw tip end eye these days?

rubio

Reaction score
I do too in truth. Got laughed at at a club pond a few years back when I pulled an old fibreglass composite swingtip rod out and set up with it.
Of course it worked. Still would too.

sam vimes

Reaction score
who would be using a rod with a screw tip end eye these days?

Still using a pair of Daiwa Powermesh Avons that have screw threaded tip rings.
I did have to check though, as I don't recall ever using any kind of screw in tip with them.

nottskev

Reaction score
I do too in truth. Got laughed at at a club pond a few years back when I pulled an old fibreglass composite swingtip rod out and set up with it.
Of course it worked. Still would too.

Short glass/composite rods can have the most lovely fish-playing actions. Because they're short, the weight is no issue. My favourite "wand" is made from bits of glass and composite rods. I've yet to find a carbon equivalent that's better, and I've got Daiwa and Shimano examples.

mikench

Reaction score
Some spring tips were adjustable; pushing the tip further into the spring stiffened the action. I still have a few of the Drennan ones, but they ain't been out of the box since the old king died. If anyone wants them (assuming they can be found, that is) just ask.:)

I'll take you up on that offer if I may Rob if you can find one?;)

laguna

Reaction score
Seen them but never used them. I always thought they looked a little long and hence difficult to cast imo but saying that I suppose I didn't get along with swingtips either due to problems with casting. I still have a couple of swingtips somewhere and a target board too which are probably over 40 year old now.

There's an old thread on springtips here Binx spring tip

sam vimes

Reaction score