Problems with Drennan A8 floats.

black kite

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Drennan floats and I like to use black bristled floats most of the time. Have other members had the same problem as me when using both the Drennan A8 and Tuffeye interchangeable bristle floats. I find as the fishing session wears on I have to take shot off as the float sits lower and lower in the water making me think that these interchangeable floats are not watertight.
I do black out other floats with permanent markers but it would be nice if I could rely on these two models when light conditions change.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with Drennan Glow Tip Antennas float taking on water half way through a day’s session. I contacted Drennan about the problem they was not very helpful over the matter all I got from them was all our float are made outside of the UK. But I think I have manage to solve the problem by giving them a quick spray of Yacht Varnish

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I always have a lip salve applicator in my bag. If my float loses buoyancy I apply the Vaseline to the bristle, this helps.

black kite

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with Drennan Glow Tip Antennas float taking on water half way through a day’s session. I contacted Drennan about the problem they was not very helpful over the matter all I got from them was all our float are made outside of the UK. But I think I have manage to solve the problem by giving them a quick spray of Yacht Varnish

Yes but the Glow Tip is not a float with a removable and interchangeable bristle,as are the A8 and Tuffeye. I don’t have any problems with floats with FIXED bristles.

sam vimes

Reaction score

Does the yacht varnish solve the issue? I've had similar issues with the older Stillwater Blues and the Glow Tip Antennas. However, unless very obvious cracks in the finish are apparent, I've never been totally convinced that they are actually taking on water because, occasionally, I've also had to add extra shot part way through a session. I've tended to accept that it's par for the course with sensitive floats and that the changes may be down to changes in air pressure.

chrissh

Reaction score
Does the yacht varnish solve the issue? I've had similar issues with the older Stillwater Blues and the Glow Tip Antennas. However, unless very obvious cracks in the finish are apparent, I've never been totally convinced that they are actually taking on water because, occasionally, I've also had to add extra shot part way through a session. I've tended to accept that it's par for the course with sensitive floats and that the changes may be down to changes in air pressure.

yes yacht varnish solve the problems I had with the floats… I only applied the varnish to the float body and about 3mm on the glow tip antennas where its inserted / fixed into the body

rubio

Reaction score
I'm also more familiar with this issue when using glow-tips. Material is the same as tuff-eye etc probably. I use vaseline or summat like it to hold the tip in the surface film. My own assumption is that it is the line taking on water as a session goes on, and as it drifts down after casting it very gently draws the float lower.
Not easy to see that working on the pole tho.

kevt

Reaction score
Hi All

Every float I buy I give it a coat of clear nail varnish as soon as I get it home, seems to keep the floats is good condition for longer. I don't put any on the bristle as I believe matt orange / yellow glows better than gloss
I've used the Drennan floats since they came out and never had an issue with water ingress possibly due to the extra coat of nail varnish?
KevT