Perch... Sheer Indulgence!

B

binka

I think it was October of last year when I decided to embark on this as my winter project, it’s my Perch box or more specifically my ‘worming box’ as this is by far my favourite way of tackling ‘em and the thing which I tend to do the most.

Although the box is finished I’m still waiting on a long lead time for some float making supplies so I’ve still got two floats to make, namely the top ‘n bottom sliders to the left of the groups of three.

Talking of floats...

Last winter's project was the box of Perch bobbers which I think was 28 floats in total and I wanted to streamline things a little so I opted for the three sets of three which include the top 'n bottom sliders, top 'n bottom fixed river (eyeless) and the bottom end waggler or waggler/slider and over the three sizes of each experience tells me that there won't be much if anything to catch me out.

The box itself was ordered in unfinished oak which, as many will know, is almost white in appearance along with the uncut dividers so that I could cut, stain and position to my own preference and that too was subject to a delay on the lead time from my usual chap but it was worth waiting for and it gave me time to make the other floats.

It took four coats of Colron Light English Oak dye to get it to the tone that I wanted along with three of varnish…

pch1.JPG

I considered felt for the inside but then imagined just what it would look like after my chopped worm hands had been all over it and so it was white undercoated twice, glossed with a dark green which I had mixed from a Dulux pantone chart (another three coats and respective sandings in between) and finished with another three of varnish…

pch2.JPG

I splashed out a little on the Dr. Slick forceps and arrow point scissors but, dare I say, whilst they are both excellent the scissors seem even better than my Owners?

Both held firmly in place with small, unobtrusive magnets…

pch3.JPG

A lucky find in the form of an Efgeeco hook wallet was a welcome addition and anyone who is lucky enough to own one knows that there is nothing to touch them, even the leads are the Arlesey Bomb type as opposed to general carp or match leads, in order to retain the true retro feel…

pch4.JPG

pch5.JPG

All in all it’s been several months of faff and I ended up in it for a fair few quid, it's not a project that I would eagerly embark on again as I nearly took the box out into the back garden to burn when I realised just how much work it was going to be but I’m very pleased with the result and very glad I didn’t set about it with the matches.

It’s been stocked separately as a standalone box for my favourite style of fishing, for my favourite of fishes and will remain unique and in my prized possessions for a long time to come… :w

sagalout

Reaction score
Luverlee. Really nice bit of work and I expect very satisfying now it's done. I think by the time I reach a stage when they ain't a thousand jobs around the house for me to do I shall be to old to take on projects like that. I shall just have to resign meself to old chinese takeaway tubs.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stunning craftsmanship there Steve, that wouldn't look out of place in an emporium I hope to be visiting Tuesday!

We share the same taste in forceps I see.

B

binka

Steve, are the disgorgers green? If so where did you get them from.

They're actually brass Mick, to match the handles on the forceps and scissors along with the fittings on the box.

I had to think long and hard before I included those but they are very smoothly bevelled at the tip to ensure no harsh edges.

Prior to buying them I did covertly flirt the idea of metal disgorgers in another thread and got no negative response but even so I carry several plastic (urgh!) versions in my waistcoat pocket, they are pretty much there to 'complete' an independent box but will come in very handy if ever I forget the others :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought those forceps because they have larger finger holes.

thecrow

Reaction score
Looks great Steve, for gods sake don't look into my box when we meet up again with your OCD you could end up having some sort of relapse the only cure for which would be San Miguel :w

Another Dave

Reaction score
Very nice work, binka. Just out of interest, what hooks do you prefer for this type of fishing?

B

binka

Very nice work, binka. Just out of interest, what hooks do you prefer for this type of fishing?

Cheers!

All the hooks are the heavy gauge versions, I've stocked with Kamasan B911X wide gape both in eyed and spade end in sizes 18 through to 10 and for the really big lobs I have Korda wide gape in 10, 8 and 6.

I lost the biggest perch I've ever seen to a straightened hook right at the net, that was because I overlooked the gauge and I won't be making that mistake again.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thanks, hope you don't mind me picking your brains. For lobs, do you hook them straight on the hook or do you ever mess around with hair rigs?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's very nice, great to look at as well as being practicle.
Infact it almost seems a shame to use it ! It would look great as a display in your house....just use an old placcy one on the bank :).

One thing to watch with the brass dosgorgers, they can be a bit sharp on the edeges and if your not carefull they can cut your line.
I have some but no longer use them. The ones I have are stil available and have a screw off top with a line pick underneath.....god knows WTF that's for lol.

Last edited:
B

binka

Thanks, hope you don't mind me picking your brains. For lobs, do you hook them straight on the hook or do you ever mess around with hair rigs?

Not at all mate.

I have tried hair rigging but usually end up questioning why and struggling to find a reason other than large bunches on a maggot clip, which I frequently do.

This is my go to way of hooking large lobs so that the hook sits nicely in the centre of the bait...

lwh.JPG

sagalout

Reaction score
I just do not believe it!!! The most CDO person in the world of angling and look at the state of his jumper, it looks like one of my sunday best go visiting items of clothing.

B

binka

I just do not believe it!!! The most CDO person in the world of angling and look at the state of his jumper, it looks like one of my sunday best go visiting items of clothing.

That picture was taken a couple of years ago, if you think that's bad you want to see it now!

Worzel Gummidge is better dressed than me... :laugh: