Ultra-light bobbin indicators for perch

B

binka

I've been using the simple, homemade jobbies incorporating a foam pop up ball with a line clip to the top and a small eye to the Dacron chord for the last few years but I have been looking around for something a bit more purposeful after some pesky rodent ate part of one during a night session...

psky.JPG

At least it's been well used and didn't owe me anything.

I had a look around at what was available but still didn't fancy anything and so I knocked up my own using a balsa Avon float body...

pbb1.JPG

pbb2.JPG

pbb3.JPG

As they weigh so little I used a decent size Avon body which will be easy to see.

The eye for the Dacron is a size 6 treble shank snipped as soon as the wires separate where they leave the bound cluster and it glues into the 3mm bore nicely, the line clip is just screwed and glued after sanding back one end of the body to the same diameter and then it's just a quick undercoat, a couple of coats of paint and the same of a hard finish varnish.

I reckon they will work a treat for my long drop bobbins for perch, zander and eels and at a fraction of the price being as I have all the stuff to knock a few up :)

Purely out of interest what do others use, anyone still on the old squeezy bottle caps?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cork, hairclip and string, bread, last time out used a twig.

Very smart that, the Binka Bobbin, you should market that, I'd have one.:thumb:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Something very similar to you, Steve. I had a couple of Middy indicators almost identical in shape to your offering which had been knocking about for ages waiting for me to adapt them. I got rid of the nasty metal line clip and brass weight, added clips like yours and the cord fittings off a pair of Wychwood slugs which I bought on a whim and didnt get on with.

End result. Very lightweight indicator with a proper line clip and a decent length of cord from Hobbycraft. They blow about a bit in a breeze if i dont deck them but they are even lighter than my nano bugs....and being fluoro orange they are a lot more visible.

I have another pair made from Keffalonian mullet floats which the BF brought me back from holiday. These are round....like big pilot floats. Same fittings as the others.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Steve, where do you get the line clips from please. Are they bought or are they reused from other indicators?
I have been using hair clips which I don't find quite satisfactory.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Steve, where do you get the line clips from please. Are they bought or are they reused from other indicators?

John

You can buy them. I used Klippa Klips from Cygnet Tackle who bought out Muddy Waters. I suspect those are what Steves using too. About £3 a pair though Ive bought some and cannibalised others from redundant Cygnet bobbin heads

There are others available but these I think are the lightest.

Skippy

Last edited:
B

binka

Skip's nailed it mate.

They are in fact the Muddy Waters clips, I wondered where they had disappeared to though and the Cygnet buy out explains their disappearance.

I did re-use some existing ones but now I know I can still get them i'll order a few in as they're relatively easy and fun to make and I can foresee a few different versions in the offing :)

john step

Reaction score
Just bought myself a few more pairs, I use the standard size...

Cygnet Indication Kippa Line Clips *BOTH SIZES* *PAY ONE POST* | eBay

70p p&p but it is the same flat rate regardless of how many you buy, you can also buy the O rings separately but I don't tend to use them at all.

THANKS....just ordered some. I had been searching the web since Skippys post but failed to locate them. Will give me something to do whilst this weather lasts.

Thanks also to skippy and Chriss. Have ordered some. Not sure why I couldn't find them but hey ho all OK now.

Molehill

Reaction score
I use much the same as Binka out of balsa, but mine are not so well finished! I also made mine with hair grips like john, not perfect and will buy some proper clips.
Excellent post Binka.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Times have certainly moved on. Last time I did anything like that it was a ball of paste or a piece of silver foil!

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Molehill

Reaction score
Might add that I also carry couple of strips of silver foil with steel rods for them to run up (gives audible alarm) and my very last bottle top in my tackle box, needless to add, I don't possess a bite alarm.

B

binka

Just bought myself a few more pairs, I use the standard size...

Cygnet Indication Kippa Line Clips *BOTH SIZES* *PAY ONE POST* | eBay

70p p&p but it is the same flat rate regardless of how many you buy, you can also buy the O rings separately but I don't tend to use them at all.

Out of interest did anyone order any of these from the link attached?

I did and am still waiting for them despite them being quickly marked as despatched, it could be last week's weather that has slowed down the post but I've had other things delivered, which were ordered a day or so later, from a similar area.

It's only been about eight days but that should be more than enough even under the circumstances and, unlike my bobbins, I'm beginning to get a bit twitchy...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep me too, I sent an email yesterday but as yet no reply.

john step

Reaction score
Me too.....still waiting despite marked as dispatched.......someone telling porkies???

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Me too.....still waiting despite marked as dispatched.......someone telling porkies???

Spoke to the seller today. The snow has played havoc with his local post service and didn't have a single collection made last week. His was able to despatch a large number of sales on Monday but was warned that a huge backlog in the sorting office would bring further delays.

He has requested I give it another day and if no joy contact him again, seems a genuine guy. Irony is, he's only about twenty miles from me!

B

binka

I wonder if the three of us constitute a surge in demand? :pound: