Where's the obvious flaw?

B

binka

I've been thinking a bit more about my long drop bobbins, in particular the hockey sticks which fit on the bankstick.

I've broken a fair few by putting them in my quiver and I was wondering...

The cord is there to do nothing more than tighten up and offer enough resistance to unclip the bobbin when you pick the rod up to strike or reel in, and to ensure the bobbin doesn't go whistling off over your shoulder when it frees.

So why not have something like a small flat bottomed back-lead, something like an ounce (it could be anything but lighter is more portable) just sitting on the ground at the opposite end of the cord to the bobbin, instead of the cord going up to a hockey stick on the bankstick?

It would serve the same purpose and suit any type of surface eg. gravel, grass or landing stage and with a bit of thought the base weight could even be made to wind on any excess cord so that you could vary the length accordingly to match the particular drop/circumstances.

I can't help but feel I'm overlooking something somewhere along the line as it all seems too simple so what d'ya reckon, has the idea got legs and is it time for small explosions from the garden shed again as the 'Binka Bobbin Base' takes shape?

thecrow

Reaction score
Nice idea Steve but I think you would need to experiment a bit to find the optimum weight to stop it coming up on the strike and hitting you in the face :eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sounds like reinventing the wheel to me. Why not use a ye olde monkey climber to achieve a similar effect? Alternatively, try buying some decent stainless steel hockey sticks. Short of taking a hammer to them, they should be difficult enough to break, even for you!:p

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As Chris said, why not use monkey climbers?
You could go down the old washing up bottle tops :).

john step

Reaction score
Steve, the obvious flaw is that sooner or later upon striking the line will not be running freely and the lot gets dumped in the water....:eek:mg:
It would for me anyhow.

I dont bother with those hockey sticks on some of my bobbins. I have a piece of cord and on the end of that one of those plastic bag ties that come with sandwich bags. They can be twisted around the base of the bankstick.

If you want to go really up market you can buy soft rubberish ties in the garden centre on a roll. more in keeping with a Hardy rod I think.:wh

B

binka

Mmmm...

A non-starter then.

I may not rest my case just yet though, for some reason I've always felt that hockey sticks and long drop bobbins are a bit of a faff but the old monkey climber idea, or some extended version of it, could well be the answer.

As long as I can invent something, I have to invent something...

:eagerness:

john step

Reaction score
Mmmm...

A non-starter then.

I may not rest my case just yet though, for some reason I've always felt that hockey sticks and long drop bobbins are a bit of a faff but the old monkey climber idea, or some extended version of it, could well be the answer.

As long as I can invent something, I have to invent something...

:eagerness:

Do you carry tent pegs . They could be a good alternative for fastening the cord down.

B

binka

After much consideration I reckon I'm going back to the easiest and most fool proof way there is...

No cord, no hockey stick, no weighted base and simply just nip the bobbin off manually as I strike :eek:mg:

The tackle industry might be down on a few sales of bits 'n bobs but I can easily live with that...

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Plastic milk bottle-full of water - the sort with a moulded-in handle to tie the cord to.
Practically weightless empty; any decent fishery should be able to spare a litre of water.

shane99

Reaction score
Every Idea on this thread works - its going to be personal preference although monkey climbers for perch (which is your goal) I feel would offer just that bit more resistance unless set up perfectly - (where did I put my mums knitting needles I used to steal as a kid?)

I personally would go for long-drop dakron-corded hockey-sticked binkas-bobbins rested on ground if a windy day ..

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
After much consideration I reckon I'm going back to the easiest and most fool proof way there is...

No cord, no hockey stick, no weighted base and simply just nip the bobbin off manually as I strike :eek:mg:

The tackle industry might be down on a few sales of bits 'n bobs but I can easily live with that...

What could possibly go wrong ? Uncle Skippy says youll get through half a dozen bobbins a trip like this.....or is that the point so you can make more ?

Get some ss hockey sticks and stop making a simple thing much more difficult than it needs to be.

browndog

Reaction score
Stainless steel is for all practical purposes unbreakable, a simpler system is a large loop on th end of th Dalton , or whatever you use, wrap it around your bankstick thread he bobbin through the loop and that's it really simple.
Simpler still fold a bit of bread dough over your line.

mikench

Reaction score
It's all serbo Croat to me!:confused: now I understand . I use a Gardner bug and I cannot see how I could destroy it. I also have a champagne cork with a hair clip glued into it which I just attach to the line either before the buzzer or just on the line between the two rests!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I also have a champagne cork with a hair clip glued into it which I just attach to the line either before the buzzer or just on the line between the two rests!

It had to be a CHAMPAGNE cork didn't it.:w