Pole floats.

Saxa

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post after introducing my self yesterday so go easy on me. ? As I'm just starting to sort my tackle out after twenty years, and I have thrown 1 or 2 bits away including pole rigs. Now my question is.....I have purchased 30 brand new pole rigs off eBay for £30 which at the time seemed a bargain. The make are N.G.T and seem to be well made but the proof is in the pudding as they say! Did I do right or should I go for a more expensive pole rigs. ?

sagalout

Reaction score
Impossible to answer that. The floats will float and move when a bite occurs but what are the line diameters (mainline and hook link) what are the hooks, what are you fishing for, what depth are you fishing at, what size (weight to cock) are the floats, how long are the rigs (do they suit the depth of waters you are fishing), the list goes on!

Balsa floats can take on water if the varnish is damaged.
Foam bodies do not take on water.
Wire stems can bend easily.
Fibreglass stems are very tough and heavier than carbon.
Carbon stems are tough and light.

I am going for a G&T now.

sagalout

Reaction score
I'm back. I make (assemble) my own pole floats from stems, bodies, tips and eyes bought on the internet and the cost works out between 50 to 65 pence per float (depends on stem material and quantities of items bought at one time).

Because all my floats are made with foam bodies I don't bother with paint so there is no cost there. Super glue to assemble the floats is negligible. A Preston double winder (takes two rigs thus saving space in me tackle box) costs about 60p the cost of line per rig is 12p (2m rig at £6 per 100m for Preston Reflo or Guru N-gage) and a hook is about 15p.

Total cost for two rigs on one winder is £1.87 to £2.02. So a £1 a rig, if it is the rig you want, ain't bad at all. Every NGT item I have ever purchased has been good quality and excellent value for money when compared to the big name brands.

I sell my assembled floats to any one that wants them for the cost to me of the materials because I have bought 200 eyes (100 for 2.5mm tips and 100 for 1.7mm tips) and I am never going to need that many myself so by selling them it helps move on some of the excess materials.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Whatever brand of pole rig you have bought , some rigs sometimes need fine tuning,
such as a small shot adding or removing, I have found the Drennan AS series to be more or less
spot on, but they are 3 time the price you have paid for yours, I sometimes change the hook on
some ready made rigs I buy, that is down to personal preference, If the rigs are as good as
the £25 travel carp rods you have a bargain, when you get used to pole fishing, either buy the bits to make floats and rigs, or buy loose floats and make your own rigs,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Saxa, don't be afraid to modify the stems or tips, I have butchered many a float by shortening the stem,
also if you end up trashing a rig, remove the stem before you bin the float, you my have bent wire stem on a float,
pull it out gently and replace with a carbon one you have saved, and re check the shotting.

Saxa

Reaction score
Some great advice here guys, thanks for giving your time up to post your replys very helpful. :)

mikench

Reaction score
I have never fished the pole but have bought lots of NGT tackle and it is excellent and great value for money!

Ps . I am sure Mr Louts floats will be excellent too!::)

sagalout

Reaction score
Ps . I am sure Mr Louts floats will be excellent too!::)
Mike, I am really upset by this post, my pet peeve is the correct use of apostrophes, and you have blatantly not used one to show ownership in the "Lout's floats". Floats is the plural not Louts, Louts is ownership and therefore it's Lout's with the apostrophe. Notice how I cleverly included the second common use of the apostrophe to denote missing letters in the "it's".

If you can't do these simple things correctly then please refrain from posting :wh

mikench

Reaction score
I do apologise Mr Lout! Your criticism is entirely due! The comments like what I wrote was poor grammar!:wh I am appropriately chastised!

What are your floats like then? The missing apostrophe doesn't tell me if they are any good or not!!:thumbs:

As the exclamation mark said to the question mark" I will never date another apostrophe , it was just too possessive":)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I will lend you a pole for Dunham Fisheries Mike, you don't know what you are missing

Are you looking for entertaining Mark? I have a whip but never used it! Never say never! I may take you up on that! Ta!

sagalout

Reaction score
These are a couple of margin floats what I assembled. I just use different shaped bodies, longer stems, and different length tips and stems for different uses. The focus is a bit out but you get the idea.
MarginFloats.JPG