Krilled maggots

laguna

Reaction score
That's interesting Chris, being as maggots are such a successful bait.

Indeed. Now present a small wriggly piece of worm on the hook instead, and its a whole new story! Same with anything wriggly without the ammonia on I imagine, live mealworms for example? or what about those things that breathe through their aris... The dragonfly nymph!

Of course I could be just breathing through my own.

sagalout

Reaction score
I have have 2 very successful worm bins that are used to recycle all the food waste (with my appetite the only food waste we have is peelings) but I just can't get on with them as bait, horrible mess everywhere difficult to hook (resorted to hair rigging with a korum quick stop, that work well) and very limited success.

I am now pinning all my angling hopes on krilled maggots, because Binka has promised we will be super stars if we krill out maggots!

B

binka

or what about those things that breathe through their aris... The dragonfly nymph!

I've been accused of breathing from my aris in the past but it was purely circumstantial on the basis that it was done from the same place in which speech was deemed to have emanated from ;)

I am now pinning all my angling hopes on krilled maggots, because Binka has promised we will be super stars if we krill out maggots!

:peep:

mikench

Reaction score
I have a pint of white maggots suffocating in the fridge awaiting being krilled and frozen! I had some krill powder(sticky the krill) so will give it a try!:)

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I shall be interested in your results Mike, but don't lie just to brown nose Binka coz you want him to take you fishing or what ever it is you two get up to :)

dicky123

Reaction score
I've brought two bags of the stuff from Sticky, pure Krill powder. On a pint of maggots, how much would you suggest using?:confused:

Also is this a winter thing, or summer too please?

Cheers.

PS. Wonder what casters would be like raised on Krill powder? Now who lives alone, anyone?:eek:mg:

rich66

Reaction score
I use a couple of tablespoons full on a pint of live maggots. I usually riddle off the maize flour the tackle shop adds 1st. Find if you leave them to sweat a little it sticks better.
It stinks!

mikench

Reaction score
I shall be interested in your results Mike, but don't lie just to brown nose Binka coz you want him to take you fishing or what ever it is you two get up to

I cannot believe I have only just seen your scurrilous, defamatory and entirely inaccurate portrayal of me and my mate Binka!:rolleyes:

I have yet to try the killed maggots and they remain in the freezer clearly marked as dead maggots in case er indoors thinks they are are some strange form of pasta or gnocchi!:)

Binka and I are our own men and I have never flattered him unduly! He cannot help his boyish good looks, sublime angling skills and carpentry artistry so there !:wh

And neither can I!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I was under the distinct impression that properly prepared krilled maggots was a bit more involved than simply adding a bit of krill powder to fresh maggots. To properly draw the krill in, the maggots need to be frozen.

YouTube

laguna

Reaction score
Chris, a variation on the idea would be to use a concentrated liquid krill which readily absorbs into the skin of live maggots on the bank, you only need to coat them. You can also use any leftover maggots with the liquid using the freezer method to produce flavoured dead maggots or simply drown them in it - without having to freeze them.

*Krill powder (pure) is often mixed with other ingredients as it tends to be hygroscopic i.e. attracts moisture from the atmosphere and can sometimes clump up. I've been informed the Marukyu stuff contains around 25% krill powder and relies solely on the freezer method. It works by a combination of the powder becoming mixed in with the bodily fluids of the maggots - drawing the flavour in over a couple of hours while they defrost.

Laguna sell pure Krill powder and other fishmeals such anchovy, crab, GLM, squid etc. (without any added filler) in 100g sealed bags which can be used for maggots and/or adding to base mixes, groundbaits etc. 100g pure fishmeal should easily be enough for coating around 10 pints of maggots @ 10g per pint.

I'm not really a fan of the freezing maggot method due to the cellular-freeze damage that occurs, particular prone are casters which burst easily when hooked after been frozen. The liquid on the other hand should prevent such problems.

Have you been on the Nidd or Swale yet?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have you been on the Nidd or Swale yet?

I don't recall the last time I fished the Nidd. It must be at least twenty years ago. I've fished the Swale four times since the season opened. It's getting progressively harder the longer the fine weather goes on. Unless I decide to travel further downstream, I'll probably just go back to chasing gravel pit tench until we get some rain.

mikench

Reaction score
I have prepared some krilled maggots according to this video! They are in the freezer! However I have neither desire nor inclination to catch like the guy in the video! 30 minutes of a bite a chuck is enough for me and boredom sets in! A varied bag of fish some small and some big are enough for me coupled with nice surroundings , a chat with other anglers and some fresh air and views of nature! A match fisherman I am not! A happy fisherman I certainly am!:wh

B

binka

I have prepared some krilled maggots according to this video! They are in the freezer! However I have neither desire nor inclination to catch like the guy in the video! 30 minutes of a bite a chuck is enough for me and boredom sets in!

If that happens Mike, hair rig a maggot clip and stick a good dozen or so on it and that will slow things down a bit... And sort out some decent fish ;)

shane99

Reaction score
I have always krilled my prawns for Perch, Eels love them :eek:mg: