Krilled maggots

sagalout

Reaction score
Moving the krilled maggots discussion off the Bargains thread.

So will any krill powder do or is there some magic about Marukyu krill powder? I ask because Sticky baits krill powder is about £2 a kilo cheaper than even to reduced Bobco price for Marukyu. I know that mushty Marlow bangs on about the scientist have made so it is absorbed into to the maggot but there is only his word for that, no proof so it's a bit like a religious discussion with a vicar.

I have used Marukyu krill liquid before as a groundbait additive and apart from making me hands stink for days I can't say I had any measurable results, but that is the beauty of additives for fishing from a salesman perspective, nuffin can be proven.

Still, because Binks is claiming that we will all catch loads more if we krill our maggots and will give us double our money back if we don't I am tempted to try, so Marukyu or Sticky krill?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Good question. I've used Sticky Krill liquid in gbait too...whether it made a difference or not is hard to say but on at least 2 occasions I outfished the Big Feller on the next peg but that's inconclusive as he is rubbish on the feeder.

Sticky Krill boilies and pellets are certainly very effective albeit not the cheapest sweeties on the shelf.

B

binka

I honestly can't say which is best fellas, I use the SFA400 purely because that's what I first bought and I've had really good results with it over a good period of time but again that can't be proven to be down to the bait... It's a pretty good hunch though and today seemed to bare that out again.

Certain species, like Bream (sorry Skip) will hone in on it due to the fishy smell but all species seem to go for it so best avoided if you're in a high risk area and would rather not catch them :)

sagalout

Reaction score
On the evidence so far I am leaning towards Sticky Baits krill powder. Jeez I am a sucker for additives even though I don't think they make any difference.

laguna

Reaction score
Not all krill additives are created equal. The majority of Krill powder is produced by simply drying fresh krill and grinding it up into a powder, and while I can't vouch for what other manufacturers claim, I can say with absolute certainty that a predigested fishmeal/powder such as what we source is KPH - that is Krill Protein Hydrolysate, a high quality predigested product.
The difference in quality is remarkable in that; KPH compared to 'ordinary' powdered krill, contains a very high proportion of free amino acids.

In all likelihood, those saying it makes no difference to catches have probably never tried the better stuff.

sagalout

Reaction score
Hi Chris, your Krill with Krill, are you saying loose feed normal dead maggots and fish a Krill with Krill maggot over the top?

Do you put the Krill with Krill in a large and overload with maggots, i.e how many maggots can be done with one 150ml pouch?

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Hi Chris, your Krill with Krill, are you saying loose feed normal dead maggots and fish a Krill with Krill maggot over the top?

Do you put the Krill with Krill in a large and overload with maggots, i.e how many maggots can be done with one 150ml pouch?

Hi Andy, a 150ml will kill a pint of maggots if not more without the need to freeze. So yes you could overload with maggots as they will all get a good coating and drown as they all wriggle against each other through the Kill with Krill (liquid krill for anyone else reading this). They last ages but i think they're better used up within a few weeks when soft for the hook i.e. before the liquid draws the juice out of the maggots. Thereafter they can be added to groundbait along with all the liquid. You can also let the maggots turn and dunk the casters.

The powder is what I was on about though, we only sell 100% pure krill powder at the moment, so its not like the one Steve mentioned which AFAIK, is mixed with other ingredients.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Guys, I hate to break this to you but the fish dont give a rats ass about if your maggots are covered in krill or not. Trust me, I've spoken to them.

sagalout

Reaction score
Chris, I couldn't see krill powder on your site, even though I had a proper man's look, I will get Mrs Lout to have a butchers.

OC, when you are talking to them again can you find out what is their bestest mostest favouritist bait? Thanks.

sagalout

Reaction score
It definitely ain't what I am using!

My thoughts are that if there was a killer bait it would be winning all the matches. The only ones bigging it up normally are the bait companies.

nottskev

Reaction score
It definitely ain't what I am using!

My thoughts are that if there was a killer bait it would be winning all the matches. The only ones bigging it up normally are the bait companies.

I'm interested in the Krill business too. Doesn't seem unreasonable that fish - there are reputed to be creatures with sense organs more developed than ours - might be attracted/repelled/stimulated by tastes/scents.

I do think a lot of the stuff in shops - big bottles of gloop that will wash on then wash off - are trading on anglers' credulity. But flavouring done properly, as in frozen and thawed in - remember Archie Braddock's writings, diaries and products? - is worth considering.

A sceptic can always say that without controlled trials you'll never know if they work or not - you might have made that catch anyway etc. But I've had times when I'd say flavoured baits have been worthwhile, and the circumstances convince that it wasn't a fluke.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
I do think a lot of the stuff in shops - big bottles of gloop that will wash on then wash off - are trading on anglers' credulity. But flavouring done properly, as in frozen and thawed in - remember Archie Braddock's writings, diaries and products? - is worth considering.

I don't know about anglers' credulity but I use Krill liquid in my method feeder mixes. I have to say that I have found Robin Red liquid, Pineapple syrup, bloodworm extract, GLM liquid to be more effective with Robin Red liquid being easily the one I go to first. But I have caught fish with Krill liquid. Different fish and different waters etc etc and this has no relevance to maggots!

All the best

Lakhyaman

laguna

Reaction score
By the way, and just my observation, but I'm pretty sure that fish find maggots distasteful.
They're certainly not the ideal bait to have on ur hook. Adding 'something' powdery takes off the repulsive ammonia smell, as does killing them.
Where live maggots are ready taken it can be attributed to one or two things (or both) imo.... the sight of a wriggly live food bait evoking a strike and/or sheer hunger.

*where no other food item is available.

sagalout

Reaction score
It was 0419, I was eating me porridge ready to go fishing. Mrs Lout does not do anytime before 1000.