Sagitar...

thecrow

Reaction score
Just noticed this thread, the picture of a spool of 5.650 kilo ( over 12lbs) comes in at 0.185 which is very thin, I might give this a try for hook lengths so long as my reel line has some stretch.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have ordered a spool of 0118 which is 4lb:9 breaking strain, I'll try it for pole (carp) rigs or hooklinks. If the stated diameters are accurate it will be really useful..

barbelboi

Reaction score
They're the same people that make Chromium feeder line (also very low dia.) that Graham M used to rave about Simon...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Received my spool of Sagitar line today and am very happy with it. I got the 4lb9oz BS and its ultra fine as advertised. It also has a bit of stretch to it..

Richox12

Reaction score
Just noticed this thread, the picture of a spool of 5.650 kilo ( over 12lbs) comes in at 0.185 which is very thin, I might give this a try for hook lengths so long as my reel line has some stretch.

I don't believe for one minute that it will be 0.185mm and 12lb. More like half of that. I suspect they're quoting KG instead of lbs

wetthrough

Reaction score
Got some Sagitar 0.096, 1.49kg/3.278lb and compared it against some Reflow Precision Power 0.1, 1.1kg/2.42lb principally because the actual diameters are quite close. The Sagitar measures 0.108 the Reflo 0.105. I don't try to measure the actual breaking strain as it's not particularly meaningful to me. I test actual hooklengths as I use them which comprises of a micro swivel and a (in this case) 20s Guru LWG hook, both tied with a 4 turn half blood and tuck. The Sagitar could probably have done with a 5 turn half blood and tuck as it's quite slippy and needs a smart pull to get it to clinch without slipping. As the line broke half way and not at either of the knots for a number of the tests I concluded that the knot was good enough. Logically it should break at one of the knots as they'd be the weakest point and that's generally what happens. Nine times out of ten it will break at the swivel for other lines I've tested. Only eight tests but it's usually enough to get an idea of how a line performs. The variation you see is fairly typical of decent line:
LineTestFor_FM.jpg

Making an adjustment for the different diameters the average for the Sagitar is 2.003lb the Reflo 2.092lb. I'm not saying that either is good or bad and there may be other factors such as shock load, abrasion resistance, suppleness etc., that might make one preferable to the other but in a static pull test there isn't a lot to choose between them IMO.

thecrow

Reaction score
I don't believe for one minute that it will be 0.185mm and 12lb. More like half of that. I suspect they're quoting KG instead of lbs

Did you look at the link posted by the OP? this is from it.

If you doubt it perhaps buy some and mic it up and let us know, its actually nearly twelve and a half

Richox12

Reaction score
Did you look at the link posted by the OP? this is from it.

If you doubt it perhaps buy some and mic it up and let us know, its actually nearly twelve and a half

Yes. But I simply don't believe it. There is only so much strength you can get out of nylon. I believe it is typical Italian marketing hype. Look at wetthrough's results above. An 0.09mm + line I would expect to be just under 2lb - maybe even just 1 1/2lb (there will be a difference between 0.090mm and 0.099mm) so the fact that it's nearly 0.11mm and just about 2lb seems thereabouts to me. It is claimed to be 3.2lb at 0.094 (depends where you look for the diameter) so even those basic tests satisfy me that it's another example of marketing hype.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Rich, what line do you use, as you know I have mentioned the trabucco T1 tournament carp line,
low dia, high breaking strain, I have had no problems with it, maybe I am confident in using it,
I have pole rigs made up on other lines such as drennan double strength and for some snaggy and abrasive swims.
I have some put aside on maxima, If I can go as fine as possible I will and upto know had no problems,
I am happy with what I use so maybe those who use sagitar are happy with that,
Italian hype or not, it works for me.

Richox12

Reaction score
I have used different types in the past and have used Double Strength in both forms for years now. To be honest I don’t think I’d be too worried about what make/brand it actually is so long as it’s not old and ‘exposed’ (I use spools which are a few years old as they’re always kept in poly bags/plastic blisters and in a cupboard so it doesn’t rot – and none ever have). I just need to get at least the strength I expect out of it and shot shouldn’t damage it or not damage it too much and I can slide them about (pure Fluorocarbon mainlines HATE this) which obviously depends on the shot also. Knots are simply down to me. Anything of 0.14mm and over Series 7 is excellent (I use it on the reel) and is cheap. Below 0.14mm and right down to 0.06mm then it tends to be Double Strength which I have used since it came out in the late 80’s. Never ever had an issue in 30 years so it can’t be bad.

I think many keep looking for the Holy Grail when it’s not there and just end up confusing themselves - and spending more money than they need to.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The breaking strains of the 0.14 and 0.10 of Trabucco T1 are more like the breaking strains of 0.16 and 0.12 of sagitar,
but the Trabucco is around 8 quid for 50 metres, The other breaking strains per diameter of sagitar are similar to the original Browning cenex from a few years ago, Like Rich said many look for something that isn't there, I have used Trabucco for a number of years for pole rigs,and have some on double strength. and either Maxima, Sensor or Shimano Aero for reel line, I have a couple of spools of Aspire silk Shock on standy if I cant get trabucco , but not needed them yet. If you are happy and confident in what you are using, why change ?