Choice of the two please?

dicky123

Reaction score
14' Acolyte ultra or 14' Matchpro ultra.

I'm on the point of buying and as they are almost the same price, I wonder if the Matchpro is a little better rod for light lines and trotting?

Help guys, I've discounted the very expensive Allerton. Trigger/Sam guys? I love the internet.

Thanks.

Rich.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Why the 14'ers when previously 13'6" was deemed too long?:confused:
For my money, I'd have the Acolyte Ultra over the Matchpro Ultralight all day and every day for trotting, despite the price differential.
However, the call might be a little closer if it was primarily for stillwater waggler work.
The standard Matchpro wouldn't even enter the equation.

dicky123

Reaction score
Why the 14'ers when previously 13'6" was deemed too long?:confused:
For my money, I'd have the Acolyte Ultra over the Matchpro Ultralight all day and every day for trotting, despite the price differential.
However, the call might be a little closer if it was primarily for stillwater waggler work.
The standard Matchpro wouldn't even enter the equation.

Call me fickle, it was out of my price to be honest, well I just didn't want to spend that much. Sam what would you say are the major difference between the two rods.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
14' Acolyte ultra or 14' Matchpro ultra.

I'm on the point of buying and as they are almost the same price, I wonder if the Matchpro is a little better rod for light lines and trotting?

Help guys, I've discounted the very expensive Allerton. Trigger/Sam guys? I love the internet.

Thanks.

Rich.

I'm curious how light a line your planning on using?

dicky123

Reaction score
Tigger mate.
I'm planning to do some proper stick float fishing. 2/3lb mainline and 1.5lb hook links on the Trent for the silver fish, small hooks. It would compliment my Acolyte Plus as I can then step up for bigger fish, just carry the two rods so to speak? From all I can tell most people like them, most anyway?

Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd just carry the plus and kill two birds with one stone, mainlies is pretty irrelevant if you attatch a bottom.

dicky123

Reaction score
Just brought a clearance Ultra for £140, should do me now. Trigger the Plus is not ideal for striking little bites, the tip is fine but better on bigger fish that bite slower in my humble view. Any way it's a done deed. Let you know if I like it next week.

Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just brought a clearance Ultra for £140, should do me now. Trigger the Plus is not ideal for striking little bites, the tip is fine but better on bigger fish that bite slower in my humble view. Any way it's a done deed. Let you know if I like it next week.

Rich.

I don't have a problem hitting fast bites with a plus rod, infact it is a faster action than the ultra.
As you say your fixed up now so good luck with it :).

sam vimes

Reaction score
Call me fickle, it was out of my price to be honest, well I just didn't want to spend that much. Sam what would you say are the major difference between the two rods.

The cost issue I can understand entirely. As I said before, the significant differences between the Acolyte Ultra and the Matchpro Ultralight are in weight and action. The Acolyte being lighter (weight) and faster in action.

dicky123

Reaction score
Thanks Tigger.

Should get it Thursday, will be off once it arrives. I just carry three rods now, the two Acolytes and a decent feeder rod I got from Preston Pro Comp, a wonderful soft top but rated up to 10lb lines, great with 6lb mainline too.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Tigger.

Should get it Thursday, will be off once it arrives. I just carry three rods now, the two Acolytes and a decent feeder rod I got from Preston Pro Comp, a wonderful soft top but rated up to 10lb lines, great with 6lb mainline too.

Good luck on Thursday then, look forward to your post on HDYGO :).

Then again I think using all that new tackle warrants a thread of it's own !