Difference between the two?

dicky123

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between the Abu Gracia 706 and the 506 mk11 please? Is it size? Quality?

Rich.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mainly that the 706 is discontinued and the 506Mk2 is still a current model. Couldn't comment on the quality, or if parts are interchangeable.

dicky123

Reaction score
Tigger mate.

Is the 501 the original, going on to the 502/503 so on? I'm told they are Bomb proof,, and that most owners remove the clutch.

If you do, does that mean when a fish take hard the handle flies around? I'm interested in anything you can tell me please buddy. I have the chance of a mint 501 ideal for the stick I gather.

Thanks again.

Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger mate.

Is the 501 the original, going on to the 502/503 so on? I'm told they are Bomb proof,, and that most owners remove the clutch.

If you do, does that mean when a fish take hard the handle flies around? I'm interested in anything you can tell me please buddy. I have the chance of a mint 501 ideal for the stick I gather.

Thanks again.

Rich.

Rich, the 501 is one of the original ones, the handle is the clutch as you can tighten it up via a screw you turn with your finger and thumb. The original 506 has a drag on the handle but the handle doesn't reverse....unless you remove the paul. Imo the 501 is the best one.
Theyre not all theyre cracked up to be for trotting though as you do get (or I did) a lot of line stick. For this reason it's better not to put too much line on them. For normal float fishing theyre great, especiall at night or in windy conditions.
If you can get a minter i'd say grab it :).
If your after a trotting reel the pin is the tool for the job.

dicky123

Reaction score
Trigger.

I paid £47 in the end and it looks very clean on the web. I'll send a picture once it arrives (if I can?) but even the reel seat has all the original paint, with 2 spools, box, and diagram oil. Thanks for all the advice. Interestedly I've seen some ABUs on a antique site refurbished by a chap called Dave Plowman the original 507 goes for £375???????wtf!!
Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trigger.

I paid £47 in the end and it looks very clean on the web. I'll send a picture once it arrives (if I can?) but even the reel seat has all the original paint, with 2 spools, box, and diagram oil. Thanks for all the advice. Interestedly I've seen some ABUs on a antique site refurbished by a chap called Dave Plowman the original 507 goes for £375???????wtf!!
Rich.

Id say ypu got a bargain there ****y. If I could only have one reel it would be a 501, partly for sentimenal reasons but also because they're great :).

sam vimes

Reaction score
Trigger.

Rich.

Battered second hand 507s command a fair premium over the run of the mill 501, 503, 505 and 506s. When Dave Plowman takes a minter (that's liable to cost in excess of £100) and sprinkles his fairy dust over it, you know it's going to cost a fair bit more. Personally, I'd not pay the £100+ for a mint 507, let alone even more for a Plowman one.

dicky123

Reaction score
I'm going to try and find someone to put that part back, as Tigger said/suggested there was not point on that 501 model. Sam the rod you suggested (acolyte ultra) is amazing very nice thanks. I happened to be able to pick up the Allerton on the bank the other day and I thought it a bit heavy in comparison, plus the handle was bait odd. JMO.

Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to try and find someone to put that part back, as Tigger said/suggested there was not point on that 501 model. Sam the rod you suggested (acolyte ultra) is amazing very nice thanks. I happened to be able to pick up the Allerton on the bank the other day and I thought it a bit heavy in comparison, plus the handle was bait odd. JMO.

Rich.

What reel did you actually get ?
If the anti reverse has been removed it sounds like you got the 506?
If it's the 501 then it has no anti reverse so I can't see anyone messing with it.

dicky123

Reaction score
A 501 with part 5579 taken out, I have the part. I should not have been removed as I said before, as you can backwind with it in, unlike the 506 hence why they had the removed. Part 5579 is called the anti-reverse pawl, by ABU.

Rich.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A 501 with part 5579 taken out, I have the part. I should not have been removed as I said before, as you can backwind with it in, unlike the 506 hence why they had the removed. Part 5579 is called the anti-reverse pawl, by ABU.

Rich.

Yeah, I know about the pawl Rich. I'm surprised someone has interfeered with a 501 though.....must be retards or summot lol.
I have a 506 and even though the drag is sticky, especially so when it' s tightened up a bit I wouldn't dream of removing the pawl and ruining the reels integrity. I just live with the no so good drag.
As I said the 501 has a drag, backwind tightener screw on the elbow of the handle which works pretty well. I don't think I ever back wind with it, I just keep the drag screw backed off to a lighti'sh pressure and sort of use it like a centrepin reel letting the handle catch on my fingers to slow it down as a fish runs...if you get my meaning.

dicky123

Reaction score
I do 100% know what you mean Tigger. I'm thinking of sending it to Jims Reel shop to get it put back buddy. He seems to be the guy in the know, and sound decent by the number of times I've asked him questions without buying anything?

Rich.