Line recommendations for hook lengths

rich66

Reaction score
I’d like to tie my own hook lengths, I seem to be getting through a pack quite often. So I’m in an economical frame of mind. What is everyone using ? I’m looking at tying 16-20’s light line around the 2lb bs Mark. My float rod line is 3lb
Thanks

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
That sounds fine - I usually tie my hook lengths with line approximately 2lb lighter than the mainline I intend to use. Any more of a differential seems to encourage tangling.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't use light lines very often but when I do i've used prestons and silstar matchman and they where fine. I'm sure some others on here who use fine bottoms regularly will have a better idea of which are the best ones to go for.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In the last year or two, I've changed over completely to Drennan Supplex Fluorocarbon. They do it in breaking strains of 0.9lb to 10lb. That more than covers all my float fishing needs.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I've just been trying to find something else. The last three spools of 3.3lb 0.15 Supplex FC I've had have measured 0.154, 0.145 and 0.14. That's a range by their measure from 2.87lb to 3.48lb. Given that a skilled angler can land pretty much anything with whatever line he/she is using (snags aside) I take the view that consistency is possibly the most important property of line. How else are they going to get used to the limitations of the tackle? I like the stuff in every other respect. It's easy to tie, not too stiff and strength to diameter wise it fairs well. Maybe that spread is as good as we can expect but it seems a little wide to me. Just had some 0.152 Sakuma delivered which measures 0.152 but it's a bit wiry for my liking and 0.152 is the lowest they do and there's no saying the next lot will measure the same.

On the other hand I have two spools of 4.4lb 0.17 Supplex FC which measure 0.17 and 0.168 which I'd say is pretty good.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
For light work using 20's - 16's I use 0.08mm - 0.10mm in Fluorocarbon (so roughly 1lb - 2lb). If it were 'medium' work then the hooks would be a different type and line slightly heavier and a 16 might even get tied to 0.14mm. All mainlines would be slightly thicker anyway although it's not beyond me to use hooklength & mainline of same diameter if I have to as the nylon mainline in same diameter will be a little stronger than the Fluorocarbon hooklength.