Whips?

dicky123

Reaction score
Are whips worth buying, if so what length when buying just the one?

Thanks.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
YES!!

I do have a lovely collection of whips if you would ever like to see them.:)

Much of my whip fishing isn’t exactly done in the way the whip was designed for i.e. swing fish to hand, I just wanted to long line with something a lot lighter than a regular pole, whips are perfect for this and a lot stronger than you may think. I’ve landed carp to 5lb on a flick tip and my Rudd catches often get close to the 2lb mark.

Like with most things your budget will dictate what your options are and also do you have specific venues in mind or particular species?

sam vimes

Reaction score
The length required depends hugely on the venue and the way that the angler wants to fish. If the whip you buy is short, you may well find that it's unusable on venues that are very deep or on those with extensive shallows that you need to fish beyond.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are interested in whip fishing and have a suitable venue then yes, whip fishing can be very satisfying and highly enjoyable.

There are many different whips on the market and I have them in more or less half or one meter lengths from 1½m up to 10m.

Where I used to fish them then 4m to 6m were the optimum lengths

If you are only going to but the one then maybe a combination telescopic/put over type will allow you to ring the changes between 3m and about 8m.

I wrote this some time go but the majority of the content is equally applicable today:

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums...ishing-peter-jacobs.html?highlight=Short+Whip

Hope it helps . . . .

Keith M

Reaction score
I have three good telescopic whips which have flicktips (3 mtrs, 5 mtrs, and 7 mtrs) and my 7 mtr Whip comes with two push in base sections which allow you to use it at 5, 6 or 7mtrs.

These two push in base sections on my 7 mtr whip have come in very useful when I’ve been fishing it at 5mtrs and hooked the odd Carp as I’ve been able to add one or two of the push in sections to give me extra length to play the Carp out a little easier and be able to net it instead of trying swing it to hand.

I also have a very cheap whip which I bought for £10 for my son when he was smaller but the tip is nowhere near as fine and you would have to fit elastic to it if you wanted to be able to play the occasional large fish on it.

If I were buying just one whip it would be a 7, 8 or 9 meter telescopic flick tip whip with 2 or 3 push in base sections.

Keith

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I have an old Maver one at 6m, but the last three section are put-in type so you can fish it anywhere between around 2,8m and the 6m. I once asked the guy at Maver (forget his name :eek:mg:) why they didn't still make whips like that. He said, typical but not blaming him, that with all these people wanting to fill their nets with commercial carp, why would they want to go catching gonks (gudgeon) on whips?
He had a point, but I love it. I bought a Sensas one at 5m and believe it or not, I've had carp on it up to around 3lbs. This is the one, but they don't have that length so I'd go for either a 6m and/or a 4.5m if you can afford it. My original Maver one cost over £90 in the early 90s and that was reduced from about £140. Sensas Alborella 150 Whip Poles and Accessories | BobCo Tackle
Don't forget a Stonfo tip for the end unless you fix the line with tubes etc.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would buy a system whip, If you can find a Daiwa Harrier or a Connoisseur an Sr3,
If you want a full tele whip I would take a look at the 4 metre preston absolute or the Trabbuco alborella whips.

Jelster

Reaction score
I have a telescopic whip, with a short piece of elastic. Hardly ever used it as it was given to me used, but I'm thinking it will be a bit of fun on the Colne chasing those smaller chub, Roach, Dace and Perch. Must make up a couple of rigs ang get out there with it.