Rigging a Whip

lakhyaman

Reaction score
A Chinese friend of mine has sent me two of what I presume are "whips". They are ringless telescopic rods without a reel seat and are 5.30 metres long when fully extended. However the tip comes with a small length of "hollow" cord (like a sleeve). I haven't a clue of how to put a line on it although I have thought of a couple of solutions.

Would be grateful for any advice.

image.jpg
End of whip.

Thanks.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think Ive ever seen anything like that before, although I wonder if the long piece of solicon it detachable?

If so then it could be left over fro a metheod of attaching a to a whip using one small pice and on long piece of silicon.

You thread the short piece onto the whip a few inches from the top and leave it there.

The second, longer piece is threaded onto the rig and you tie a small loop in the end of the rig.

The small loop is used to form a slip knot which goes just below the small piece of silicon on the whip, you then wind the rig line over the last few inches of the whip nd then slide the longer piece over the end of the whip thereby forming a bond at the end.

This is one of the many things that is so much easier to demonstrate physically than to try to explain in words.

Richox12

Reaction score
It's fairly normal (Shakespeare did it many, many years ago).

You just tie a decent overhand knot in the end of the braid and then treat it as you would a Dacron Connector and use the double loop in your mainline

Keith M

Reaction score
I once had a whip similar to this with a shortish length of heavy braid attatched to its tip with a small knot in the end; and I attatched my line just as Richox12 described; with the larger of the two loops looped around the braid and the smaller loop standing proud; and when pulled the smaller of the two loops helped to loosen the line a lot easier afterwards; I also slid a short length of rubber tubing over the connection.

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I still have a Shakespeare whip that has the dacron/braid at the end, attached rigs as described by Richox12, it is starting to split where it is attached to the end of the whip, so I will be removing it and fitting a stonfo connector.

Richox12

Reaction score
I still have a Shakespeare whip that has the dacron/braid at the end, attached rigs as described by Richox12, it is starting to split where it is attached to the end of the whip, so I will be removing it and fitting a stonfo connector.

I tried those glue on Stonfo type connectors many years ago but after a few sessions cut them off as they caused far too many tangles with the line wrapping around them too easily and it not being as easy/quick to correct. I just use the double rubber and make sure the end rubber is both stiff and long enough to make a mini crook.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Stonfo connectors on all of my whips and can honestly say that I've never had a problem with tangling.

I experience the ocassional tangle but nothing so regular as to make me think the Stonfo is the problem, and this was in a 9 years period where I fished a match at least once a week using the method and every weekend as well.

I guess it is all matter of personal experiences, so you pays yer money and takes yer choice, so to speak.

Keith M

Reaction score
Like Peter; all of my whips have Stonfo connectors and the only time I’ve had a problem is when the arraldite glue failed on one of my stonfo’s on a whip that had sat unused in my shed for years; but that was easily fixed. :)

Last edited: