Float and Feeder reel

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
I can't believe you've not had a reply to this post yet.

I only really know Shimano reels, and their 2500 size is just right for float work andlight feeder, with the 4000 size suitable for general feeder work.

Shimano Alivios are nice reels at about £25/£27 respectively, next model up is the

Shimano Catanas at about £29/£30 respectively.

There are lots of other makers to consider (e.g. Shakespeare, Daiwa, Okuma), perhaps best to visit your local tackle shop for a look at a selection.

John Veazey

Reaction score
As somebody who has returned to fishing after 10 years away it is amazing how good a reel you can get these days for so little money.

If I was you I would go for the Shimano Catana 2500

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
kcon, I own a Catana 2500 which I won in a club raffle. It's a little beaut and my preferred reel for my 13ft Drennan Series 7 Competition Match. Both bits of kit are lightweight and balance each other perfectly. How Shimano knock these out at the price amazes me.

I'm not sure the 2500 would be my choice for feeder work and I would be inclined to step up to the next size - no more, or you might unbalance your float road.

You might want to also look at the Shakey Mach 2 series which you should be able to get within your price range. Some good reports on these although I haven't personally used one.