Strengthening a fishing chair ( Binka proofing??)

john step

Reaction score
I bought a JRC lightweight roving chair this year and found that the adjustable leg mechanism was not gripping enough and would slide closed when this lightweight 16 stone angler sat on it.

I have remedied it by adding jubilee clips with thumbscrews. Works a treat.

Also I found the back was leaning too far back to be comfortable so I modified that. I drilled a hole in the hard plastic base where it rests on the frame and superglued a bolt and washer in it to make the back more upright.
This makes the back adjustable. A plate held by a clip protects the chair frame.

Apologies Steve:wh

View attachment 5800

View attachment 5801

View attachment 5802

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Is the patent pending John?:) Good idea!

It's sensible to check your chair periodically as nuts and bolts do work loose over time and strain! I tightened mine only the other week and couldn't open it out next time! I now carry a decent ratchet screwdriver and bike spanner for this and my peg stands!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Michael....
I’m starting to think the Generation Game’s conveyor belt with the contents of your fishing bags!

Maggots....bread....ratchet screwdriver....a tin of sweet corn....bike spanner....8mm pellets...........and so it goes on:)

Good game, didn’t he do well.

mikench

Reaction score
You lot are incorrigible ! :)

I can't help it , it's an illness! :rolleyes:I've come over all Bruce Forsyth !

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Now that is what I call real engineering John Step. Simple but effective!

I did similar with the back of my JRC chair, but not as fancy as yours. I used loose aluminium blocks which just slide between base and back units. Not as neat as yours which has more permanent look about it. Mine tend to go missing from time to time.

Nice job..

dann

Reaction score
16 stone! A mere slip of a man, just wait until you have finished growing and get hairs on your chin!

john step

Reaction score
16 stone! A mere slip of a man, just wait until you have finished growing and get hairs on your chin!

I went up to 17 but have made a conserted effort to reduce my weight so I am now just all muscle.:wh:eek:mg: