Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bog ordinary rear rod rest head

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I cannot abide the plastic headed ones as they have a tendency to shatter when trying to push them in and cutting my hand.
    The Drennan type would never shatter. They are closer to hard rubber than plastic. The Gardner is made from a similar material. The problem with the Drennan is that they would eventually shear across the rubbery screw thread. The last one I had was probably more than ten year old when it expired in this way.

Those new drennan front wing reats are ok to use both front and back.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Those new drennan front wing reats are ok to use both front and back.
    I looked at those. They'd do at a pinch but I thought they were a tad shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    I've used them and they where spot on for my float rods, aco.ytes, normarks etc. As I said earlier the korum Y rests might be more to you liking. I have them also and they are more secure if your worried about accidently kncking the rod butt of which is easily done. The korum rest don't impeed you in any way either.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    For my preferences, they are fine as a front rest but too shallow for a rear.

I tried to find a none slip back rest for cork handle rods (float / feeder)
    I could find plenty of rests for carp rods but not for the bigger diameter cork handled rods, I end up buying a set of the guru reaper

http://windows screenshot

http://free image hosting
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

I've just been and had a look at my rests. I found the drennan front rest ok, the korum Y front rest was much deeper but still doesn't hinder when removing the rod. I have a rest front rest that rotates back and forth on a screw and that one is sound so long as the screw is tightened up so the head isn't slack. I forgot about the swinging head type ones, they're spon on for front and back. I still have several of the older rubber drennan rear and front rests. I can't find them just now but the butterfly head ones are good and they're non slip, you can also cut the tube down to make them smaller if you like.

Forgot to say the butterfly rests are soft tubeing and won't scratch or damage rod blanks etc.
    Last edited by tigger; 22-10-2018 at 21:33.

Think I'm going to have a right good rummage through my numerous bags, holdalls and quivers to see what might be lurking around that I've forgotten about. Failing that atm the Gardners have it.

Still cant believe Drennan have dropped this in favour of clamps designed to stop your rod getting dragged in while you're akip in your little green mushroom.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 22-10-2018 at 21:38.

Below is a pic of the Boyes ones I mentioned. I use them as they are for rear rests and use them for the front with a length of shrink tube each arm . Very durable.

Bog ordinary rear rod rest head-001.jpg

Wouldnt fancy tripping and falling on one of those very much.

During my hunt I came across a bloke selling a set of those old brown Efgeeco rod rests on Irish ebay. Remember them ? I think everybody had at least one. Anyway....the heads are rubber and the rear rest head almost identical to the Drennan one that is now extinct.

I nearly had em but I thought £30 was a bit steep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast