Bog ordinary rear rod rest head

B

binka

Wouldnt fancy tripping and falling on one of those very much.

During my hunt I came across a bloke selling a set of those old brown Efgeeco rod rests on Irish ebay. Remember them ? I think everybody had at least one. Anyway....the heads are rubber and the rear rest head almost identical to the Drennan one that is now extinct.

I nearly had em but I thought £30 was a bit steep.

I've seen the odd few on Ebay as I regularly look at what Efgeeco stuff is being listed and that's about the asking price that I've found.

I think for me, from all that have been suggested, it would have to be the Gardner... Straight forward functionality without the silly colours and nothing that could generally be interpreted as flash.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I went for the Gardner in the end as being the nearest to what I actually wanted. I also found a pair of Korum Y rests during a shed rummage and they'll do as back up.

I will soon have both a bag and a holdall for each of my main fished for species and no need to swap anything around.....bar the Delkims but I thought buying another set of those was taking things a bit far even for someone as anal and tarty as me.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Holy necro-thread, Batman.

Skip, though I have continued to use it, my Gardner rear rest started to get on my wick. I could never screw it in quite as tightly as I'd like (without taking molegrips to it).

I've tried the odd alternative in the last 12 months or so, without finding anything better. However, today's trip to the tackle shop yielded a new one on me, the Preston mini butt rest. It may not fit with your idea of subtle and unobtrusive, but it looks pretty good to me. Soft enough, wide enough and deep enough without being too much.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hmmm.....I’d need to see one in the flesh but I’m liking the shape. I too couldn’t really get on with either the Gardner or Korum Y rests. I’m currently using a Preston “Dutch” feeder rest on a mini tripod as a double rear rest. Works well when I’m not fishing for anything capable or likely to rip a rod off the rests

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Literally, it's a term for cleaning the rough edges of a piece of pottery or a metal casting.

Colloquially, it means to repair or modify almost anything.

Specifically, it meant gripping the threaded brass insert to screw it into a bankstick tightly enough that it didn't unscrew of its own accord. It couldn't be done by turning the whole head as the plastic bit just revolved on the brass insert.

Fit a small O ring onto the thread, this should stop it turning, or alternatively get a couple of Preston Innovations locking nuts,
As for actual rod rest head PI do a U shaped one both as standard U shape and one with soft "bristles around the inside, this will hold rod in place but rod can be lifted out easily, Some anglers use them to rest landing net handles on.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fit a small O ring onto the thread, this should stop it turning, or alternatively get a couple of Preston Innovations locking nuts,

The head rotates on the threaded brass insert. Locking nuts and O rings make no difference at all. You'd still have to grip the actual head with pliers or molegrips to tighten or loosen them. The locking nut or O ring would be superfluous.