Reel maintenance

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been fishing for four years now and to date have neglected my reels entirely, now that some of them are being subjected to saltwater it’s about time I started giving them a bit of tlc.

Can anyone recommend a decent grease and oil that’s readily available. A few fishing brand ones about but as with most things a premium needs to be paid, I’m sure something like sewing machine oil would be suitable.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good old 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil ….. Do not use wd40

I cannot believe I told a car mechanic, or a tech as they are called nowadays that WD 40 is not a lubricant.

daniel121

Reaction score
I liked the above comment by mistake.

This is what I do and it works for me, everytime I fish which normally is 3-4 times a week so more than most. I take my reel out clean the outside with WD40 and and wipe the muck off it, after that I add 3 in 1 oil on the moving parts. I.E the bail arm, handle, under the spool etc.

The WD40 repels the water out, I find on some models particularly the new Simarnos that the drag can stick very easy in the rain. I don't know what others have experienced? Keeping water out helps the drag to work correctly.

The 3 in 1 oil stops the reel from waring out in use, like the oil in your car engine.

Hope that helps?