Korum XL Quickstops

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Do Korum XL Quickstops have a larger eye than the normal ones thereby allowing a larger diameter line to be used for the hair and hooklength as well as making it easier to thread?

Thanks for any info.

Example:Korum Xl Quickstops, Model: Clear

All the best

Lakhyaman

john step

Reaction score
This is the first time I have heard of these larger quick stops. It may be the same for others. Lets hope someone looks for you next time they visit a tackle shop.

I hope they are tougher than the originals as I find they bend over very easily. I have to drill a hole first when using them for mini boilies.

I wonder why these have been introduced for larger baits though and it there is any advantage over ordinary hair rigging.

I mostly use an AVID corn stop for bigger baits. It looks like artificial corn but has a little hook on the back which secures the hair very securely when the hook part ids pulled into the bait.

Great for meat etc.

chrissh

Reaction score
I’m looking at some now

No they don’t have a bigger hole to thread the line thought I bought some by mistake the XL are thicker and longer in the body which split the pre-drilled pellets when trying to push thought.

You will need a bigger bait drill like the Preston innovations rapid bait drill which I think is 2.5mm - 3mm diameter

There ok with soft bait when the stop can be easily pusher though without drilling

john step

Reaction score
I’m looking at some now

No they don’t have a bigger hole to thread the line thought I bought some by mistake the XL are thicker and longer in the body which split the pre-drilled pellets when trying to push thought.

You will need a bigger bait drill like the Preston innovations rapid bait drill which I think is 2.5mm - 3mm diameter

There ok with soft bait when the stop can be easily pusher though without drilling

As I wondered Chris. Is there any advantage over a standard hair rig set up that you can think of?

chrissh

Reaction score
As I wondered Chris. Is there any advantage over a standard hair rig set up that you can think of?

All I can say John is no I can think of any advantage over a standard hair rig for the size of baits / pre-drilled 10-12mm pellets I use the XL stops split the standard 10-15 mm pre-drilled pellet.

The only time they have come in handy was when hair rigging mussel being that bit bigger there no good for meat.

If you’re happy with the standard size stay with them.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and clarifications.

Surely larger baits for larger fish require higher diameter lines. I was looking for a stop capable of this. It would make baiting up for larger fish easier, apart from making threading one on easier for normal lines. A slightly harder plastic and a larger eye would surely be easily made and appealing for those whose dexterity and eyesight have "matured"!

All the best

Lakhyaman

john step

Reaction score
Lakhyaman, yes larger fish equals higher line strength/diameter. However I dont see the need for higher diameter hairs.
The hair only supports the weight of the bait and plays no part in the playing of the fish. As long as the hair supports the bait I don't think it needs to be heavier.

A flexible hair makes the bait behave more naturally. Mostly. Although there are modern carp rigs that seem to go against this.
Some rigs(I am no by any means an expert) with a swivel and loop on the back of the hook (chod rig??) go against this principle and are designed for specific reasons. Raising the bait above bottom muck(chod) or avoiding tangling by crayfish perhaps?
I am sure there are explanations on the web from experienced carpers.

Just my thoughts. Tight lines.

chrissh

Reaction score
A lot or most of the hair rig hook length for carp in the UK a tied with braid which is a heavier line and smaller diameter

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Yes, by and large the hair does not need to be heavier especially with braid. But that is also true in reverse. If you have to put on a separate hair under a knotless knot it adds to the fiddly bits. If you use a heavier braid (or mono) for greater abrasion resistance then a greater diameter eye becomes necessary. Most stops are tied on first on to the hooklength, then the knotless knot attaches it to the hook and leaves a length of "hooklength" ! I've probably got it wrong from beginning to end!

Al the best

Lakhyaman.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
It is what I do for thicker lines but can't incorporate a quickstop because of the narrowness of the eye. It would make life a little easier if I could. But then I am a lazy sod.

Thanks for everyone's interest.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
They're OK in large or small sizes, but it's best, I've found, not to have a big knot by the side of them. It's that which will split the bait, I found. You have to tie them in a very small loop just large enough to get the back end of the stop in so the knot is besides your needle rather than the Quickstop. A Sensas (£2 ebay) or Seymo loop tyer can help.

mikench

Reaction score
Quick stops are fine with corn and meat but bait like chick peas and maple peas are best secured by either the avid carp corn/ maggot stops or these!

Fox Edges Pellet Pegs - PS3.49

The cheap and fiddly bait stops have been consigned to the recycle bin and I just use these! I have found the 11 mm perfect for all my fishing but they do larger and smaller ie deeper!!!

They are the best I've found literally! :rolleyes: A strip was on the ground and I tried them and then bought some! Mine are clear but those I found were Brown! I cannot locate the Brown !

They work well with all size pellets and boilies, meat, prawn, mussel and corn! Just leave a loop on the hair or buy them this way and you are good to go !!!

lakhyaman

Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is the reply I got from Preston. They were reasonably prompt with the reply.

The hole is a slightly bigger diameter on the XL quickstops but you can also make the hole bigger for thicker line by pushing in a quickstop needle as the plastic is fairly soft.

All the best

Lakhyaman

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Quick update FWIW:
I have just received a supply of Korum XL quickstops. The hole is indeed larger and I can easily thread a 0.28 mm braid through it. It will on appearances probably easily take a 0.30 braid or mono. The larger hole is much easier to thread than the small ones in the smaller and thinner Drennan pushstops which I find difficult to see in bad light or torchlight and which do not take 0.23mm braid (0.16 is fine).
I was looking for the Korum for thicker braids and mono where a thicker hooklength is mandated. I could use a loop knot and peg but this is less fiddly for baiting. The Korum is for larger tougher baits.

All the best

Lakhyaman

john step

Reaction score
Quick update FWIW:
I have just received a supply of Korum XL quickstops. The hole is indeed larger and I can easily thread a 0.28 mm braid through it. It will on appearances probably easily take a 0.30 braid or mono. The larger hole is much easier to thread than the small ones in the smaller and thinner Drennan pushstops which I find difficult to see in bad light or torchlight and which do not take 0.23mm braid (0.16 is fine).
I was looking for the Korum for thicker braids and mono where a thicker hooklength is mandated. I could use a loop knot and peg but this is less fiddly for baiting. The Korum is for larger tougher baits.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Nice to know.