Feeder rigs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m talking specifically maggot feeder for roach.

What are the pros and cons of having feeder attached to the end of the mainline with a helicopter link above for hooklength.....or visa versa with hook at end of mainline and feeder above.

flightliner

Reaction score
Each have there day, some for long periods so long as one tries to engage with the many tiny nuances that occur over time. It's indicative of anglers inventiveness just how method feeders have been developed over recant years.
Some early ones have now been consigned to many anglers back shelf for use on the odd occasion on a different water than their usual one.
The bolt rig maggot feeder is still very much a go to method for quality roach fishing as is the open ended groundbait feeder with different hooklenths long or short.
I've fished water quite successfully over a number of years with method feeders but last year my catches declined -- not seriously but enough to have me making a change to groundbait feeders with long (3 to 4 foot ) hooklengths.
The difference was remarkable with some memorable days to reflect on.
The bottom line is that things constantly change in angling and failure to keep up with these changes will sometimes cost the angler dear.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
For every person who favours one method, another will favour the other. And then we still water/running water and the 'best' method. Also, the paternoster method is another option..........

I Googled 'helicopter rig for big roach' and lots of info available (as I'm sure you know) including several vid clips covering the helicopter rig. Roach up to 3lbs caught. Now that is BIG!!

Worth a look if you haven't done so already!

I think it was John Step who offered a method only this past week where he fixed feeder/lead to end of hois main line, formed a loop just above it to which the hook link was fixed, Simple, effective and no special bits and bobs necessary..........Works for him and for me, in the past.