Line bedding in on Abu closed face spools.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This just came up on another thread (Iain), didn’t want to go off topic and have been meaning to ask the question.

I read somewhere that applying Kryston Turbo juice to the line eliminates line bedding in, does anyone have experience of this?

Reaction score
No idea,but was always told to put the minimum of line on Abu closed faces,but some of them had pretty deep spools and I can't remember these days which reels had them,I think 501's were shallow...

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I only ever put around 50mtrs or less on my Abu506 closed face reel and even then I occasionally need to release some line by hand the very first cast after catching a lunker, to remove bedding in.

I’ve no idea whether turbo juice helps but I would be very surprised if it did without affecting a lines suppleness or memory.

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I think most closed face reels suffer from line bedding in, I had a 506 and a 501 and no problems at all, only put around 50 or so yards on them, I had Daiwa 120m , the first time I used it was in a match on a local canal, First cast was fine, the same as next few, then I managed to hook a golden rudd just shy of 2lb, Fish went in the keepnet, baited up , went to cast to far side, and didn't get to half way, I thought it was the line release not working, had the spool off, checked everything,seemed ok, cast again and same problem, I had to pull line off, catching the rudd had bedded line in somehow, I ended up putting a new reel on my rod to carry on fishing. I had same problem with a 123m .Both reels got dumped. I have acquired an Abu 704 which I have yet to use.

Reaction score
It's a shame,because for fishing the cut,or stick float fishing they are perfect,during my match fishing days I tried nine different closed faces,some a pair of each,of those were by five different manufacturers,they have all gone I believe,I might have a DAM hidden away somewhere...

Last edited:

JONM14

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my 506 on Sunday. I was fishing a stick float so trotted down and pulled the line of as it went through and then pulled some extra off the reel at the end of the swim before reeling in. That seemed to clear it as it didnt happen again. From reading this i may have overfilled the spool so will take some off before i go again.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a modification that allows the line to unspool more freely.

The fix is too synchronize the handle position too spool position of bottom dead centre ,leaving the handle pointing downwards when the spool is at its lowest point of travel .

remove the cowling
whilst holding the handle steady twist the winding cup (clockwise) away from you to release it
twist the spool anti-clockwise to unlock it ,and remove
turn the handle until the spool carrage is at its lowest point ,then grip and hold it there with your other hand.
(at this point your handle will most likley be at a odd angle )
start the dissasemble the handle's fittings (506 its a knobb ,501 a nut and etc) only to the point the handle is loose reposition it pointing directly down (natural position to begin winding from) .re assemble the fittings
refit spool ,winding cup and cowling

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used a 501 for almost all my fishing for years and spent a lot of time trotting with it. The slimmer the diameter the more line stick was my finding so I would use a heavier mainline and add a low diameter bottom.
Another thing that causes line bed is if you don't put your line on under enough tension initially. If the line isn't toght on the spool when let some out and reel it back under the pressure of a fish, especially something half decent the line gets pulled into the the looser line below it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What sort of heavier mainline diameter are you talking Tig?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What sort of heavier mainline diameter are you talking Tig?

I went for 6lb mainline and might use as light a bottom as 2lb with it. I sometimes had two bottoms, i'd add a 4lb bottom and then add a 2lb bottom to that.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What’s the reason for going 6 4 2 as opposed to going straight from the main line to a 2lb bottom?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What’s the reason for going 6 4 2 as opposed to going straight from the main line to a 2lb bottom?

It was just a sort of bufferring for the lower breaking strain line, rather than having 2lb attatched direct to 6lb line.
I didn't do that a lot, just now and then when I could be bothered :).