Preston Seat Box Mag !ock Issue

Dobbor1

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone got a Preston seat box either the Inception SL30 or an Absolute?

If so have you have trouble with the Mag locks not closing properly?

I bought an Inception this week and had to take it back as the Mag locks were jamming and not engaging smoothly. The shop tried another shallow drawer as this was the item with the problem. That one also made the locks difficult to close. Too much force would have broke the locks.

Cheers

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have the Inception, had no problems with the mag loks, Did you buy the lighter weight drawer unit that is made specifically for the Inception, or one for the Absolute,? I had the Absolute Compact which did not have the mag loks and sometimes they would stick when trying to undo or close them, Make sure everything is lined up on the drawer units when you try and open or close them. I had a deep drawer unit supplied with my Inception, am going to get the shallow drawer unit this week,also hopefully a pair of shuttle adaptors. Try spraying the magloks with a ptfe spray to help them slide easily. Did you buy it locally ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
A reply to what I posted would have been good, When you put the unit on your box, press down on it and give it a slight wiggle, this ensures everything is lined up, Also did you build the box yourself or did you buy it ready made ? Await your feedback with interest.

Dobbor1

Reaction score
I have been working so unable to reply.

I bough the box from Warrington Tackle and Guns in Woolston and it came in a sealed box so had to assemble myself. The shallow drawer was an Inception not an Absolute. This came in a separate box.
After messing about with it I found that the fixed deep tray corners were not true and one of the nibs was not exactly in the corner. Rather than trying to adjust it I ended up opening up one of the shallow tray corner recesses by about 2mm and it fits nice. We opened another Inception from it's sealed box and it did the same. Must be an assembly issue or a cack handed individual when fixing it together. I shouldn't have had to do this but I didn't want another box. This one suits my needs being very light and I can adjust the height of the seat from the footplate without having to buy more trays/drawers as with the Z frame boxes as I am 6' 1".

Hope this makes sense.

Jeff

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
@Dobbor1 ok jeff thanks for reply. I know Andy,Helen,Bernard and Bill ( whose shop it was originally ) at WTG, I use it regularly, in fact I am hoping my shuttle adaptors are in stock. That is why I posted about pressing down and giving units a wiggle, I had to do that on my Absolute Compact to get the catches to slide into place sometimes, I have had no problems with my Inception, I take it from the way you are posting that you purchased a shallow drawer unit ? the Inception comes with a deep drawer unit under the seat, ( mine and a couple of others I have seen did ) I am going to get the shallow winder tray unit, that way I can carry a few more pole rigs, As far as I am aware units are around 40 quid compared to daft money for Absolute units. For less than 300 they are a good box, Some have issues with them only having 2 internal adjustable legs instead of 6 like some other "H" frame boxes have, I have had no issues on that score.

Dobbor1

Reaction score
No sorry it was the deep drawer unit I had to adjust. This came with box but was packaged in its own box within the big box.

Just starting up again after a good few years away from fishing so building up my tackle again. I used to use this shop when it Baileys with Bill and Barbara as the owners. Bought quite a bit of luggage and Preston add ons for the box last week and they were all helpful. Will be a regular again no doubt. Used to knock around Parksway as a kid.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If you are after rods I would try Leigh Tackle and Bait, they have more of a selection than WTG. Depending on where you are in Warrington, there is Warrington Angling centre on Chester Rd, just past Brian Bevan island, They have both a coarse and speci dept same as WTG but different brands. They don't sell poles, or seatbox units. My middle son and grandkids live on Greymist Ave and youngest son and grandkids live on Devonshire Rd. Are you joining any clubs around warrington ? Keep the mag loks sprayed with a ptfe spray or a light spray of furniture polish to keep them operating smoothly.

Dobbor1

Reaction score
I’ve been in Warrington Angling Centre so it’s another option for end tackle etc. I now a couple of people in Greymist Ave. I used to fish Grey Mist for many years as a kid and it’s a shame how’s its looking now and more of a carp fishery. I’ll be fishing Partridge Lakes mainly but will Join Warrington and Lymm clubs.
Where do you usually go?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I am in Warrington and Lymm, I am a bailiff for Lymm, The commercials I fish are Fir Tree, Dunham Fisheries, Hampton Springs, Sycamore, The Cunneries, not bothered about Partridge or Blundells, Also fish club waters,