Pole Testing Suppliers

Dobbor1

Reaction score
Looking for a supplier in the North West who has a good selection of poles set up to try before I buy if anyone can advise please.

Thanks

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
@Dobbor1 try Leigh Tackle and Bait, Vale Royal at Northwich ( used to be Scotts ) Daves of Middlewich, Leigh tackle are about the best bet, What make ? Length and budget are you looking at ?

Dobbor1

Reaction score
I like the Prestons Response M50, Map TKS 501 2g and the Matrix MTX 2 or 3.

Just need to give them a hold as they all might feel different.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The M50 response may feel heavy, At those prices I would go For a Daiwa G50 or the new G90, Made in Scotland, good after sales service and spares available for a good few years, With the Map you will find other brand topkits will fit without cutting the base of them, Not had reports on the Matrix, Also Daiwa hold their value, I have the G50, if you want to have a look at it, let me know, Its not for sale though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I appreciate that it's over the border for Lancastrians, and therefore may as well be on the moon, but Bobco really isn't that far away. It has the best pole alley and largest display of poles that I've ever seen, or am ever likely to. Even Stapely in its watergardens heyday couldn't quite compare. Chapmans in Hull also isn't in the same league, neither was Climax prior to the AD takeover. I've never found a tackle shop as big as any of those four anywhere down south.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Leeds is about an hour depending on how the motorway is running.I have heard good reports on Bobco. I used to go to Stapely fairly often, there is an antique and collectors centre not far from where the watergardens used to be, Now a housing estate. If you wanted to handle a pole there I found you either had to judge how it was by holding it standing up at the racks or get a member of staff to lend you a seatbox so you could sit outside and try it there. North West Angling has a decent set up, again either try and judge standing near the racks, or sit on a box in the shop.I prefer Leigh Tackle, it has no pole alley but the staff will take a box and a couple of rollers outside on car park so you can try poles out. And I used to go over the border every time Warrington RLFC used to play a Yorkshire team. And for weekends with the wife.

mikench

Reaction score
Er indoors is from Leeds and I remember going in Bobco just to have a look round when bored and having , at the time , no interest in fishing! I was impressed although it was another 15 years or so before I succumbed!

I love Yorkshire!

John Keane

Reaction score
North West Angling in Hindley, Wigan have poles set up on a balcony rack to have a waggle of. Taskers Angling in Liverpool also have a limited selection set up on a rack to try out.

I bought my Daiwa pole from Leigh Tackle and they go out into the car park with you to give the pole a handle. They don’t have them set up in store.

Edit: Fishing Republic, Crewe, which is between Sandbach and Crewe, have poles set up also.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Bobco pole alley and associated "seat box" seating is shown very early on in the following video.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Something to take into consideration when getting the feel of a pole in a shop is it will feel a little different when it's elasticated. Putting 16 or 20 elastic through the top 2 can make a pole sag a bit which may not be evident when you try it out unelasticated...

John Keane

Reaction score
Something to take into consideration when getting the feel of a pole in a shop is it will feel a little different when it's elasticated. Putting 16 or 20 elastic through the top 2 can make a pole sag a bit which may not be evident when you try it out unelasticated...

Same applies to giving a rod a waggle in the shop without a reel on it. At the very least the dealer should grab the tip and let you put it into a serious curve.

Dobbor1

Reaction score
Been a while since my original post but a small update on pole choice. I ended up buying the MAP 501 2G and so far very pleased with it. I got a great deal from Andy @ Warrington Tackle and guns which is my local shop. He sorted me out with all top kit elastics, Dacron connectors and pulla bung beads etc. Had a short spell at 14.5 meters and was great. 13 meters was a breeze and very comfortable. I’ve heard MAP may be bringing out another update this year but I’m over the moon with mine.

Jeff