centre pin AGAIN

john step

Reaction score
My very old Youngs Trudex is past it. Its wobbly, grates and is now not a pleasure to use. I would complain to Youngs but I think at 56 years old it may be out of warrenty.:wh

I have been looking for a reasonably priced replacement. Living in Lincs I don't do much trotting but do enjoy a pin for tench etc on stillwater.

I do have a Rapidex but unfortunately these also are no longer in production, as second Rapidex would fit the bill.

The current crop of pins seem to come without the adjustable tension wheel. That is apart from the current crop of Youngs which are more than I want to pay.

To cut a long story short does anyone know of a current SMALL pin with the adjustment facility.

Thanks

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Jim Hudson at Vintage Fishing Company has a Rapidex on at £55: Vintage Fishing Company

Or phone Garry Mills at the Mill Tackle Co. (01527 853438) - reconditioning your old friend might not be as scarey as you think.

Edit - Sorry about terseness, was interrupted by a phone call and tried to type and talk.

Garry was the chief engineer at J.W. Young, and still services their reels.

VFC are old friends of the Traddies' forum, and I've not seen a word said against him.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My very old Youngs Trudex is past it. Its wobbly, grates and is now not a pleasure to use. I would complain to Youngs but I think at 56 years old it may be out of warrenty.:wh

I have been looking for a reasonably priced replacement. Living in Lincs I don't do much trotting but do enjoy a pin for tench etc on stillwater.

I do have a Rapidex but unfortunately these also are no longer in production, as second Rapidex would fit the bill.

The current crop of pins seem to come without the adjustable tension wheel. That is apart from the current crop of Youngs which are more than I want to pay.

To cut a long story short does anyone know of a current SMALL pin with the adjustment facility.

Thanks

There's nearly always trudex's and rapidex reels for sale on ebay and many of them are in good fettle.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I use an Allcocks Flick'em reel from the early 60's (very similar to the Trudex) and it to looked past its useful life (minus most of its black finish etc.) but I really didn't want to throw it out so I went to Garry for an opinion. To cut a long story short and after chatting to him I got him to service it and check it over and pleased was I with the result. That was some 5 years ago and it is still going strong (use it on most trips, including yesterday).
Yes, it is worn but I love the little tensioning wheel which allows me to keep things under close control for my still water fishing close in, and it works perfectly with the shorter versions of Matchpro ultralight rods....

Obviously you have to pay for Garry and you may feel your reel is just not worth splashing the cash..............

I see Thomas Turner have a Trudex for sale but probably in worse condition than yours!

Of my reel type; I see two for sale, including one at £54 in dreadful condition and another at £85 a little better. Not for me, though.

ps Garry always very helpful but he gets very busy so you need to chase him - that's my experience, anyway!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will now consider the options.