Shimano baitrunner DL 2500 FB

shane99

Reaction score
Had 2 of these arrive yesterday from Erics Angling to pair with my Darent Valley .75lb's - half the price of the X aero 2500 FA's.

Have had/got about every Baitrunner ever produced in my day and the quality of these seems to be on par.

I got these for ledgering for Mr Perch. The reason I went Baitrunner is so my rod wont get dragged in if Mr Carp decides
he fancies my lobworm & I am not paying attention which does happen.

Has anyone else had their rod dragged in - I recon there are a few :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Oh yes, just last year...

I recorded the incident on here at the time, but basically I cast out parallel to the bank and toward an overhanging tree, switched on the Baitrunner and sat back and waited. Unfortunately, the 'runner' didn't sound as I suppose I hadn't switched it on properly (or forgotten to do it altogether!) and the rod (within inches of my hand) slid forward at some speed, jumped over the front rest and headed off into the deep. All over in seconds, and I hadn't moved!!

Spent an age searching along the bank and in the end saw a bank side branch waving around to which was attached my rod with fish still on. I had to beat down a lot of vegetation and I was in a real mess but eventually I got the whole lot back, including the fish!

Now, if I use the Baitrunner I switch it on and then make sure it is definitely engaged by pulling slightly on the line from to the bail arm until I hear it click. Sounds belt and braces, but better safe than sorry!

(This same pit has at least 5/6 rods/parts of Poles (maybe more for all I know) within its depths, all because folk think it can't happen to them - as did I!!

ps To this day I swear I engaged the Baitrunner that day, but events say differently.............................

barbelboi

Reaction score
I generally use a baitrunner whilst ledgering for perch as, although they seem very 'alert' to a change of resistance, a correctly set 'runner' with steady slight resistance has never seemed to bother them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had some of those a few years ago now, i'm not saying there's anything wrong with them but I didn't like 'em and sold them. I got the X-aeros instead and I prefer them.
I also have some old but mint 5000gte's and they are better still but a little larger.

Keith M

Reaction score
Has anyone else had their rod dragged in - I recon there are a few

I had to dive in at my local estate lake to retrieve a light powermesh Carp rod that I was using for surface fishing a couple of seasons ago; which was pulled in after laying my rod on the ground temporarily while I looked through my tacklebag for my camera. I thought I had opened my bail arm, but I hadn’t.

The rod was rapidly being towed out to a large bed of lillies in the centre of the lake with only the cork handle visible above the surface and I thought that I was the only person around the lake so I quickly stripped down and swam out to my rod and managed to stand up and play the fish while up to my chest in water right out in the middle of the lake.

When I got back to the bank with the Carp in my arms there was a large cheer from a group of ladies from the estate which had been watching me all the time, and whom I hadn’t seen before, and as I clambered out I was only too glad that I’d kept my underpants on.

Over the years I’ve ‘nearly’ had my rod wrenched from my hands on more than one occasion when touch legering for barbel in the middle of the night when I’ve accidentally dozed off on a slow night.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I'm mightily impressed Keith! I doubt I would do the same ! I use one of those small butt rests which grip the rod very tightly!!!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I also have some old but mint 5000gte's

My pair of 5000 Aero GTEs have been in regular use for around 20 years now, run perfectly, no maintenance (apart from cleaning the outsides) and I wouldn't want to swap 'em...............

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I have a pair of the same, Jerry and still as good as new....Some would say a little on the heavy side, but for me they have quality written all over them and still a joy to use. If I have a prized possession it would probably be them..........

shane99

Reaction score
I like the double handle these days SK, it does help on the panic strike :)

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
For some reason the DH doesnt get up my hooter on this reel. I suspect its because its a smaller and more compact reel with less of a "throw" on the handle. Whatever...that's a cracking combination and those DV rods remain an absolute steal at the price.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I uses to have the DL 4000 and the 1000 for carp fishing but was too big and heavy and did a bit of a swap with a famous angler now i got 4 x x aero 4000 , lovley reels . But nothing wrong with the dl range .

I have nearly had a rod dragged in , even when on the tip I use the baitrunner

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

shane99

Reaction score
Just had a waggle in the garden with a DL FB on a Darent Valley .75, nicely balanced!

I also love my Aero 5000 GTEs, these I pair with my Fox 1.5's - a set up I had for nearly 20 years & what I use for my Carp fishing these days when I fish for them, about once a year tbh. For me the 5000's were too heavy for the Darent Valley rods hence the purchase.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Had 2 of these arrive yesterday from Erics Angling to pair with my Darent Valley .75lb's - half the price of the X aero 2500 FA's.

Have had/got about every Baitrunner ever produced in my day and the quality of these seems to be on par.

I got these for ledgering for Mr Perch. The reason I went Baitrunner is so my rod wont get dragged in if Mr Carp decides
he fancies my lobworm & I am not paying attention which does happen.

Has anyone else had their rod dragged in - I recon there are a few :)

I have never had a rod dragged in but I have a pair of the Darent Valley rods which I pair with 2500 aero x’s. It’s a nice combination. Not only is it a good way of keeping your rod, if you set the bait runner so the livebait just can’t take line then you can use it for bite indication, or as I do fish an alarm via a sunken float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane99

Reaction score
I have never had a rod dragged in but I have a pair of the Darent Valley rods which I pair with 2500 aero x’s. It’s a nice combination. Not only is it a good way of keeping your rod, if you set the bait runner so the livebait just can’t take line then you can use it for bite indication, or as I do fish an alarm via a sunken float.

Why not just use the float for indication Ray ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Why not just use the float for indication Ray ?

In flowing water you can use a fairly heavy weight and fish a static lead so the livebait stays near to a feature. I use a free running float to keep the running paternoster upright. Bites are savage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shane99

Reaction score
In flowing water you can use a fairly heavy weight and fish a static lead so the livebait stays near to a feature. I use a free running float to keep the running paternoster upright. Bites are savage.

I am fishing a stillwater, wether this would make a difference ? I am just concerned the slack produced by the float would effect the indication at the alarm, therefore deep hooking. I have had this discussion with Phillip recently. I think I just need to try it for myself..

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It works on still water as well. Your fears about slack lines are unfounded. As the line runs through the float the float sits just subsurface and keeps the line under tension so there is no slack. When a perch nears the livebait it starts to become agitated and the float starts bobbing. As the fish takes the bait it pulls line from the lightly set baitrunner. The rod has to be pointed directly at the float as I don’t use a bobbin of any kind. I connect the bait either with a tandem hook( small barbed hook or small pellet band hair rigged to a larger barbed or barbless hook depending on fishery rules) I don’t have a problem with deep hooking.

shane99

Reaction score
so not a sunken float then ? just free running as you said & floating on the surface ?. what float are you using Ray ?

I picked up 3/4" green poly balls the weekend to use as a sunken float with a gripper stop rather than a sliding knot.