Okuma Aventa VT1002 Centrepin or Greys Bewick Centrepin

treecutter

Reaction score
Hi folks I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the mentioned reels. I own both & haven't had a chance to get out on the bank with them to try out.
Thing is needs must & can't justify owning both.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Choosing one over the other will come down to little more than personal preference. If you've no idea which you prefer, because you've not used them, then it may make sense to get rid of whichever is easier to sell, or whichever will realise the biggest return. It's usually fairly easy to sell an Okuma, though the price might disappoint. The Greys may be a tougher sell, but you should get a little more for it.

However, some elements of individual preference don't require real time use. Which one do you prefer the look of? Which one balances better with your rod of choice? Which is the better runner? Which one feels better to operate? I'm particularly thinking about handles (size and position), ratchets (ease of reach, operation and one handed use) and spokes for finger through retrieval (if that's the way you retrieve).

For me, the Bewick is too small and too light. For precisely those reasons, some folks love them. I tend to prefer a true pin, so the Bewick wins on that score, provided it's in good nick and runs well. Both reels have arboursthat are too deep for my liking. It means that both reels end up acting like significantly smaller reels than their bare diameter figures might suggest.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I have both and use both and I suspect deep in the archives of this and other forums there will be reviews I have written about them both...However of the two for me the Okuma is the better all round reel and it's usually my go to choice when I am doing casting demos.
Hope this helps

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like 'em both and enjoy using them equally. They're both different reels and they both have their good points, the ratched switch on the greys being my favourite switch of any pin.
I don't think either reel has anything I would call bad attatched to them.

nottskev

Reaction score
I like 'em both and enjoy using them equally. They're both different reels and they both have their good points, the ratched switch on the greys being my favourite switch of any pin.
I don't think either reel has anything I would call bad attatched to them.

I have a Bewick, and I also think the positive up-and-down ratchet switch is great. I find it perfect for stillwater fishing; in a brisk flow, with the relatively small spool, I found it revolving a bit too frantically for me on the way out, and a bit slow on the retrieve, but that's my personal take on it based on limited experience.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a Bewick, and I also think the positive up-and-down ratchet switch is great. I find it perfect for stillwater fishing; in a brisk flow, with the relatively small spool, I found it revolving a bit too frantically for me on the way out, and a bit slow on the retrieve, but that's my personal take on it based on limited experience.

I don't mind a 4inch spool Kev and have no prob's trotting up to a hundred yards on a large river with a bewick. I mange the retreive no prob's to be honest.
There are other reels I have with a button like the bewick but they move slightly different, still good though.
The ratchet lever on the youngs BJ is my least favourite as I find I very often catch it with my fingers knocking it on. I know a lot of people do like a ratchet positioned like that but i'm not a fan.

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't mind a 4inch spool Kev and have no prob's trotting up to a hundred yards on a large river with a bewick. I mange the retreive no prob's to be honest.

Well, I've seen all those barbel-strewn reports, so I'm not arguing! But how?? I just measured the Bewick here. The arbor is barely 3". That's retrieving 9 1/2" per turn. To get 100 yds of line back, you need app. 378 rev's. Have you got some supersonic sweep-and-bat method?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, I've seen all those barbel-strewn reports, so I'm not arguing! But how?? I just measured the Bewick here. The arbor is barely 3". That's retrieving 9 1/2" per turn. To get 100 yds of line back, you need app. 378 rev's. Have you got some supersonic sweep-and-bat method?

Kev.....no secret method bud ;) :wh.. I don't really bat a reel, I can't see batting it doing it any good to be honest and it doesn't give a fast retreive anyhow. They way I retreive a long trott isn't uncommon but it's difficult to explaine.

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev.....no secret method bud ;) :wh.. I don't really bat a reel, I can't see batting it doing it any good to be honest and it doesn't give a fast retreive anyhow. They way I retreive a long trott isn't uncommon but it's difficult to explaine.

I'll ask Mike for a description. With diagrams. :)

mikench

Reaction score
Kev it's a blur even in slow motion! As I have already said Ian defies the laws of physics!:rolleyes: Ian could bat for England!!!!

I'll tell you all about it Kev when next we speak!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lol, you men are dafter than me ;)

We'll meet up one day and i'll show you, it's really nothing special, really it's not!

Reaction score
Come on,wtf do you do Ian,you must be able to give a rough description????

mikench

Reaction score
He is far too modest ! In one fluid motion he pulls in the line using a 180 degree movement of the rod from the tip pointing at the float to pointing in the opposite direction . The slack line is then retrieved onto the reel by a a series of flicks /bats on the pin drum! This may be repeated dependant on the length of the trot!

It's poetry in motion!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He is far too modest ! In one fluid motion he pulls in the line using a 180 degree movement of the rod from the tip pointing at the float to pointing in the opposite direction . The slack line is then retrieved onto the reel by a a series of flicks /bats on the pin drum! This may be repeated dependant on the length of the trot!

It's poetry in motion!:rolleyes:

So you did take notice then ;).

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Mayhap this technique could be demonstrated at the next prince albert open day on the 9th of June...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mayhap this technique could be demonstrated at the next prince albert open day on the 9th of June...

If anyone knows it, it would deff'o be you Alan:).

How's it hangin' cockle :).
I noticed you have been doing a bit of salty fishing, and doing pretty damn good n'all !

Your bike ride looked great, maybe try it on one without an engine next time ;).